The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 04:59 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Big bass are frustrating me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
Your casting is probably spooking the fish, or at least putting him on his guard. make you cast and let the fly sit.... minutes if you have to. Let him swim off and come back. He needs to calm down and forget that there is a "lure" there.

Then try little twitches and see if that will get a strike.

PS. Not to say that there is anything wrong with your casting. Sometimes even the most delicate cast scares the fish off. Trust me, I know.
Bass will get turned off if you continually cast in the same area.

Bass aren't leader shy...I've caught them on leaders as short as 24".

Or...scrap the poppers and cast some streamers.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 06-19-2011, 10:46 PM

rvafishing is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Big bass are frustrating me

Had a great weekend over at lake anna in VA. Went out the last night for an hour and took my revenge. Caught 2 really nice bream and this awesome bass, that fought like hell and did a nice acrobatic show. I was so dam happy when I landed him.

Tonight i go out again before we head home for Richmond. It had stormed like crazy all day and finally cleared up around 6pm (perfect timing). So I paddle my little john boat out there for another round. Nothing is hitting top water, but within minutes I hook a nice catfish on my Puglisi blue gill. Then another nice bass on a #4 orange popping bug, just a little smaller than the on in the pic. After that I had another small bass and bream.

So after maybe 3 hours spent on the water all weekend I think I did really well. It sure was a nice weekend, and I was happy .

Heres some pics. I only had my phone the first night to take pics, I wish I had it the second night.

Click the image to open in full size.

Both bream were over 11" which is a citation in my state.

Oh and by the way I was running both flies at once. I had the bluegill chasing the popper, worked really well except kind of tricky to cast at first.

Rob

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Also the bream in the pic took the blue gill fly. I thought that was kinda funny.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyboy View Post
Bass will get turned off if you continually cast in the same area.

Bass aren't leader shy...I've caught them on leaders as short as 24".

Or...scrap the poppers and cast some streamers.

Cheers,

Robert
And I've seen them get spooked on a 9' leader and a cast that barely rippled the water.

All depends on the waters and the fishing pressure that they receive. But I do agree, don't overkill casting to the same spot.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 07-11-2011, 09:40 AM

routerguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvafishing View Post
Had a great weekend over at lake anna in VA. Went out the last night for an hour and took my revenge. Caught 2 really nice bream and this awesome bass, that fought like hell and did a nice acrobatic show. I was so dam happy when I landed him.
Where on the lake were you? I have fished that lake a lot with mixed success with traditional tackle. I too am just getting into fly fishing and want to do some fishing up there as we keep our boat at Sturgeon Creek Marina down near the power plant.

Do you fish the upper james much or just the lower james? I am in Goochland and do the float from WestView down to Maidens a lot.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:55 PM

smctitan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by famill00 View Post
Welcome to the forum! In response to your post, that is why they call it fishin' and not catchin'! Hang in there, catching him on a fly will be more rewarding than catching him on a spinnerbait!

-Forrest
I have to agree. I got back last night after an evening on the river producing nothing more than a couple huge strikes (never landed though) and a 4in bluegill. My buddy asked if I would have rather had one of my spinning rods when I missed the smallmouth strikes and I said absolutely not, still had a great time. Keep up the good posts.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:04 PM

rvafishing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by routerguy View Post
Where on the lake were you? I have fished that lake a lot with mixed success with traditional tackle. I too am just getting into fly fishing and want to do some fishing up there as we keep our boat at Sturgeon Creek Marina down near the power plant.

Do you fish the upper james much or just the lower james? I am in Goochland and do the float from WestView down to Maidens a lot.
Im fishing Oakliegh 2, its like the furthest finger away from the plant. Maybe a 5 min drive from Sturgeon Creek. I fish alot of the rocks along side of roads and bridges. Had a great trip last night, was out for about 2 hours and caught 3 nice bass and 2 bream. It was an ON and OFF weekend though, we went out one morning around 530 and caught 3 small dinky bream.

No I have not fished the upper james at all yet but I REALLY want to. Ive heard of some killer smallmouth out in Scottsville and Goochland. If you need another buddy let me know.

Rob