The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 07:54 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Default Bullheads and more.

These fish are such smell feeders that last time I looked no one has entered one in the IGFA fly rod tippet records! I have caught a couple but in truth it was after catchign a slew of Bluegills, Sunfish and what have you. I'm sure the fly smelled like a fish! To deliberately scent your fly, for record purposes, is a no no and some folks even say by fly fishing ethics it's a no no also but I'm betting that one that was bedraggled and slimed by some sunfish would be fair game! Channel and Blues are more sight feeders and hit flys readily but those Bullheads and Flatheads, both heavy smell feeders, take a bit of priming on the old pump before they'll hit.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 02-19-2012, 10:05 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bullhead on the fly

All IGFA tipper classes are filled for Brown Bullheads most are filled for Black Bullheads and several are filled for Yellow Bullheads. Unless the anglers have experienced the mayfly phenomenon that I have I suspect some scenting of flys may have occurred . Scenting, pork rind or bait of any kind is strictly forbidden in I G F A fly fishing rules. Even so there are several Blue Shark and one Goliath Grouper record caught outside of these guidelines. The real challenge is to use a fly with no additives. If it can be done with carp and sturgeon it can be done with all the eligible species.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-20-2012, 12:35 AM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

That's been done in just the past few years then for they were unfilled for the longest. I'm sure that someone has figued it out.
Chuck S

Will Rodgers

Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 AM

Keith Williams is on a distinguished road

Size 12 & 10 darkish bead head nymphs work well. Fish them just off bottom. Go ahead and catch a few of the Sunfish, there scent will add to your catch rate. A 2 lb. bullhead is alot of fun on a 5 wt.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 AM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

Drag a Craw fish pattern on the bottom of a shallow creek in semi stained water. I cath bokos of yellow flat heads on bass flys in the summer. It helps that the water gets up to 80 degrees down here in the summer.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:30 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

The bullhead records started coming in recently 1999-2001and most aren't the same people multiple times . So these individuals must have the secret.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:59 PM

Right. Same with Flatheads is my bet. I did catch one Flathead on a jig years back but that jig had just caught several walleyes also so it was scented but have never caught one on a fly per se.
Chuck S

Will Rodgers

Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I've targeted shovelheads here and there. They can be caught pretty easy if you know where they are and what they want. I live in flathead heaven around here and I get all kinds of flak from the bait-tossers. Heavy clousers pitched in thick cover work great. I have a secret technique that I won't give away, but I'll drop a massive hint. Fish at night and use *Cough*Glow-in-the-dark material*Cough*

If you drift clousers and buggers though holes I've caught them on accident that way too.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 PM

Talking Re: Bullhead on the fly

Channels , flatheads and blue cats are aggressive and will hit live baitfish quite regularly. Just three days ago I was hammering small channels on buggers. But to get any of the three species of BULLHEADS to hit a fly is a totally different story! With they exception of the mayfly hatch phenomen occurrence I mentioned in an earlier post I think without scenting the fly you aren't catching BULLHEADS! I sent an email to the IGFA to find out what flies the two guys that hold all the tipper records for all three species used. I'm betting that it's a very spongy pattern.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-20-2012, 11:53 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
I'm betting that it's a very spongy pattern.
Hopefully it didn't "happen" to fall into anything odorous.