The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 AM

adkjoe is on a distinguished road
Default Bullhead on the fly

I would like to change things up a bit and go for some bullhead in the swamp near my house. I've never caught bullhead on a fly before and really have no idea what type of flies to even use. I know bullhead have a reputation for eating pretty much anything edible but can anyone give me some tips or advice on how to land some bullhead. There are also a lot of pumpkin seeds in the swamp and I don't want to be snagging those worthless things every couple minutes.

The swamp is full of them, I was going to throw a bass leader on my 5wt and see what I can get. Any suggested fly patterns for bullhead in New England (Vermont). Thanks!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:15 AM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bullhead on the fly

Could try a sinking line and a booby or floating dragon pattern. Let the fly line sink til it's on the bottom and the fly will stay just above the weeds and you can vary the fly height by the length of your leader and retrieve speed.

Just a thought.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:37 AM

That's a good thought. As of right now I only have floating line though.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:51 AM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

Can use a strike indicator and set the depth to a specific level. Accomplishes the same thing, just the opposite. lol.

Also, might be worth it to add a dab of juice on your fly. Some type of scent, like a worm scent or something. Especially since bullheads are scent/taste oriented.

Nick
Old 06-21-2011, 11:58 AM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgeridoo View Post
Can use a strike indicator and set the depth to a specific level. Accomplishes the same thing, just the opposite. lol.

Also, might be worth it to add a dab of juice on your fly. Some type of scent, like a worm scent or something. Especially since bullheads are scent/taste oriented.

Nick
x2.

or cut open one of those sunnies and soak a wolly bugger in its gut juices. hehe.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:28 PM

That's not a bad idea. you think a stinky wooly bugger would do the trick?

Cut open a sunny and soak the bugger....genius!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:26 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough

Use bass sized flies for bullheads...even small bullheads will inhale them.

I caught a 3 lb bullhead on a size 2 wooly bugger looking fly...using a 7 1/2 ft leader on a weight foward floating line at my friend's pond. This is a relatively shallow pond, so I didn't need any weight to carry it towards the bottom.

Fish towards the bottom of the deep holes (especially on hot afternoons). I'd suggest a fly with a conehead or beadhead for weight.

Catfish will cruise the shallows for food at night...flyfish at night for them!

Cheers,

Robert
Old 02-19-2012, 11:27 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Every May at Lake Wallenpaupack there are huge hatches of mayflys during the evening hours. It's a great time to catch Walleyes in the flats with drys. Funny thing is the only other fish that seem to rise to these hatches are small black bullheads. Sometimes there are so many bullheads rising it's hard to find the Walleye in the frenzy.Either way probably the only time you'll ever catch either fish on top!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-19-2012, 01:33 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Keep in mind that this is very unorthodox, but it works for bullheads.

Put a small wapsi spinner blade on a size 8 4X long hook, and follow it with an appropriate sized bead. Build a big thread base to keep the spinner and bead from sliding around. Then, take a big chunk of sponge and superglue it to the shank of the hook. When you're fishing, take the sponge and put it something stinky to absorb the scent. Fish the fly below a small strike indicator. The fly gets beat up pretty good, so have a few on hand. I use this technique for nasty muddy backwaters. Some may call it cheating, but I was bored and wanted to catch something.

If you're fishing cleaner water, a black bead-head woolly bugger works great.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:39 PM

bluedaksi will become famous soon enoughbluedaksi will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the great idea - I might give bullhead fly fishing a try! We have a good run of bullhead up the inlet of Conesus Lake. My first thoughts about how to go about doing this echo those others have said already - Nighttime fishing, scent, suspending or on the bottom.