The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 08:51 AM

adkjoe is on a distinguished road
Default My secret river

I live two miles away from a great fishing hole. What makes it a secret is you need a lifted 4x4 to get to it. Thank god I have a big Jeep
Anyway thought I would share some pics.

My phone died (I know likely story but it's true!) so I only got a few pictures but I landed 9 bass between 12-14 inces, 3 small perch, and 4 large bluegill in about 3 hours. Roll casting a black wooly bugger was key. It was one of those nights where I couldn't cast fast enough to catch fish. The river in most spots is only about 3-4 feet deep so you can see the bottom and see every strike. About a 1/4 mile down stream the river runs into lake Champlain so A lot of nice fish wander up the river.

The river
Click the image to open in full size.

the wonder bug

The only fish pic I got before my phone died

My fishing partner

Last edited by adkjoe; 06-24-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My secret river

adkjoe: Looks like you have a pretty nice honey hole there with some nice fish in it, congrats! Great looking fishing partner to boot!

Larry

Old 06-24-2011, 10:07 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I know that the Winooski delta is a major pike spawning ground.
I'm wondering if you may be surprised by something big in your little river someday
Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 AM

I've seen a number of large creatures wandering around in the shallow water there. Like I said it dumps into Champlain less than a quarter mile down river. I plan on fishing closer to the mouth this weekend. It's a sweet spot to say the least.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:12 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

That an alaskan malimute? Beautiful Dog!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:54 PM

Siberian Husky, my best friend.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:59 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: My secret river

I used to fish on the other side of L. Champlain...Plattsburgh! My dad was stationed there in the mid '70s, and I fished all over that place.

Lots of great fishing up there! That's where I fell in love with smallmouth bass! There will always be a place in my heart for smallmouth bass, Willie Nelson, and labrador retrievers!

Black wooly buggers are my "go to" fly...they work nicely on LM bass, bluegills, and crappies!

Cheers,

Robert
Old 06-24-2011, 08:37 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

That looks like some great water there. I'm surprised how clear it is in the pics, it must be like gin on some days.

Beautiful dog, btw. I've always like those. We had a mix of one when I was a kid, but had to get rid of her when she ate a whole bottle of my mom's heart medication, among other things. Funny thing is, didn't affect the dog at all....
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog