The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 01:28 PM

j43jacko will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tilapia on Fly

When i was down at my grandmas in march they were in their spawning beds so me and my little brother would snag them with big treble hooks lol
Old 07-03-2011, 02:14 AM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about

^^ Ha-ha. Not.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:46 AM

j43jacko will become famous soon enough

There a nuisanace in the ponds we were fishing. The association gave us permission to this because they were eating all of the largemouth eggs.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:57 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

That's Blue Tikapia and they do get huge. For years I held the all tackle IGFA record even though the fish was fly rod caught. They fight sporadically sometimes giving a good account but it seems that once you get their nose on the surface, they give up and then it's a dead weight haul. They are incredibly good table fare when fresh like that and much better than thier farm raised cousins.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 01-23-2012, 06:12 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Pardon the typos in that last post. A bit more on the Blue or Israeli Tilapia for those so inclined. They are not a Chiclid but rather called Oreochromis aureus or the Blue Tilapia over most of their range here in the US. Although the primary way to catch them without snagging is via the fly rod as they seldom eat bait, the International Game Fish Assoc offers no fly rod categories for these plentiful fish. In South Africa one of the favored methods is under a strike indicator with might be called a San Juan Worm imitation in either olive or brown. When they are guarding the nests/brood a small fly might well imitate one of their fry and when danger threatens the parent fish sucks the little ones in! Here's a link:
Chuck S

Will Rodgers

Old 01-23-2012, 06:18 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i drag san juan works through their beds and they bite
Old 01-25-2012, 11:21 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
Pardon the typos in that last post. A bit more on the Blue or Israeli Tilapia for those so inclined. They are not a Chiclid but rather called Oreochromis aureus or the Blue Tilapia over most of their range here in the US. Although the primary way to catch them without snagging is via the fly rod as they seldom eat bait, the International Game Fish Assoc offers no fly rod categories for these plentiful fish. In South Africa one of the favored methods is under a strike indicator with might be called a San Juan Worm imitation in either olive or brown. When they are guarding the nests/brood a small fly might well imitate one of their fry and when danger threatens the parent fish sucks the little ones in! Here's a link: Oreochromis aureus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
When is a cichlid not a cichlid? Jus' sayin'. milt.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's a nice fish and I've gotta ask; did you let it lose or eat it?

Nice, congratulations

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-26-2012, 03:43 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i wouldnt eat any out of the lakes near my place. Too many fertilizers
Old 01-26-2012, 03:52 PM

Cool Re: Tilapia on Fly

Milt, I meant to indicate that I was using the generic terms for both the Tilapia and the Cichlids found across South Florida and in a few spots across the US. Of course the Tilapia is in the Cichlid grouping but in most places and cases they have different common names. The Blue Tilapia is the most common name heard and is most often called just Tilapia although at times you might hear Nile Perch. The Mayan and several other Cichlids go by the common name of Cichlids or even Chicklets!

Here's where I messed up: I posted, "They are not a Chiclid but rather called Oreochromis aureus or the Blue Tilapia over most of their range here in the US. " That should have read They are not "called," Cichlids but rather called "Tilapia," ie Oreochromis or the Blue Tilapia.....etc!

Non-Native Florida Fish (3): Explore the nature side of Florida
Another distinction is that the Blue Tilapia was stocked by F&G while most of the other Cichlids were aquarium released and then spawned and spread in the wild. We here in the US do have a Cichlid of our own in the Rio Grande and tribs but limited to the lower reaches of the Rio Grande. They are also found in large springs and rivers of Central Texas' Edwards Plateau including the San Marcos, Guadalupe, San Antonio and Colorado rivers.

Appreciate your sharpness and heads up!

The Tilapia and those other Cichlids are very cold sensitive and a few years back a cold front produced heavy fish kills among their populations in the Central Florida area. as in canals bank to bank with dead fish!

One other thought--for those of you lucky enough to be able to target those Cichlids above, (Mayan-Rio Grande) be sure and do it as they are fighting fish par excellence and usually put the Blue Tilapia to shame in that regard. They are also much more aggressive to the fly akin to a Bluegill!
Chuck S

Will Rodgers