The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 01:59 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Top water surprise

While out on my yak-- harassing the sunnies and gills-- this fella hit my hopper pattern.

Click the image to open in full size.

I was throwing my 3 wt. for sunnies, gills and small LM bass. Using a #10 bright yellow hopper pattern.

This guy hit hard, and ran for a moment until he got me into some thick hydrilla.... I wasn't so sure that I'd get him out on such light gear. several minutes and a few profanities later, I finagled him out and he proceeded to drag me around for a bit. Based on the length of the 'center console' on my yak, I estimate him to be in the 20- 22" range. Good fighter and slimy like all of the cats....

An interesting way to end a leisurely evening of pan fishing.

I'd heard that cats will take bugs off of the surface, but in a few years of fly fishing, I hadn't seen it-- until this year-- this is the third cat that I've taken on hoppers.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:31 PM

hal_sch has a spectacular aura abouthal_sch has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Top water surprise

That's just awesome!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi T,

I've caught channel cats on streamers that acted like a salmon when they made a run. Not a lot of jumping but bottom hugging bulldog runs. Cats' and carp both were a possibility on dry flies when I lived in their range.

Great catch, I know that made the whole trip for ya,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-04-2011, 10:54 PM

rbreedi1 is on a distinguished road

Very cool!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:44 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Very cool Tony...Bet you had a great time with him...

Dan
Old 07-05-2011, 09:14 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

this is exactly what i was expecting to see when i saw this thread title. they will rise around here almost as good as the bluegill some times

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Great looking cat. Catfish and crappy are my favorite warm water fish to eat. I'd love to catch cats on a fly.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great catch especially on a 3 weight-- must have been a blast.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:31 PM

bow addict has a spectacular aura aboutbow addict has a spectacular aura about

Congrats. I caught a bunch with my little girls on friday. I didn't get them on a fly, but I did get a bunch on an ultralight rod. They are an awful lot of fun on light lines and light rods.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:14 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great fish! plus topwater on a 3 weight......had to be a blast!!

casey

ARFE