The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 08:34 PM

sbourdelais is on a distinguished road
Default Northern Pike

I'm going to be fishing in Northern Ontario on Lake Temagami in a few weeks, with my goal being to bring in my first pike or two. i have a 7 wt that i use for bass fishing, and i've picked up a wire tipped leader that i'm saving for the occasion, but i was wondering if there was anything i should know in particular for fishing for pike. i'm not sure exactly where i can find them in a lake in general, or what flies work best, but i have a general idea. anyway, i guess i'm just looking for some tips if anyone has any.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern Pike

A 7 wt. rod is the very minimum you can use. I actually tell people 8 to 10 wt. I use a 10 most of the time. In case you have not already found out, they are really toothy and will clip a fly right off unless you have a steel leader or pretty heavy mono. They may still clip off heavy mono. This time of year most of the big pike will have moved to deeper water. Smaller Pike will be next to or in weed beds in shallow water. I will look up the lake you are heading to and see if I can't figure out a spot or two where you may have a shot at a big one. I'll post some flies later tonight as well.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:56 PM

thank man, i appreciate it. on the note of leader, im not to worried. i picked up a wire one at orvis the other day. as for deep water, i assume that means they'll be deep in it, so floating line wont cut it?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:16 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Pike on the fly are good times. I will defer to Dan on the subject. But have done fairly well myself. As for the line type question...fishing a mouse or popper pattern for top water action is awesome, but this is why having two spools with a floating and sinking line is ideal. I have had good luck with bright flashy leech and fry patterns at mid depth.
Have fun and watch your digits around those teeth.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourdelais View Post
thank man, i appreciate it. on the note of leader, im not to worried. i picked up a wire one at orvis the other day. as for deep water, i assume that means they'll be deep in it, so floating line wont cut it?
You are going to need more than one leader. They are hard on them. The cheapest way to do it is make your own. I buy bulk nylon coated steel leader (spool). I use a few knots making my Pike leaders. The Bimini twist, Albright, Blood knot, and perfection loop. How many of the knots do you know?

If there are no big shallow reefs in mid lake then no. You are going to need a sinking line for bigger pike. We have big reefs in one part of the lake here and you can go pull the bigger pike off the tops in mid summer. If there are not any then you need to be out in the main lake in a boat. It's not as easy to find them that way. I'll look for a lake map and see if I can figure out the best shot at bigger fish.

For future reference, if you want to get numbers and size, looking at where the lake you are going to is, the second and third week of April give or take a week or so (weather variables) is the best time. Look at the local regulations for there. Not all lakes are open for Pike that early. For instance here along the Canadian border where I live it is open but the rest of the state isn't. Also, when I say bigger fish I mean those in the 40" + zone.
Click the image to open in full size.

As for flies I don't think there is a better pike fly than the Reynold's Pike fly. I have modified it from the original Barry Reynold version. He used a big thread head. I use 5 minute epoxy on the weed gaurd ( used mostly to keep the tail from wrapping the hook ) and instead of the big thread head I use heart beads from the craft store. It is a pretty bullet proof fly. It works so well I don't even think color matters.
Another really good fly is the Dahlberg Mega Diver. It's a great fly earlier in the year if you are looking for bigger fish, but the time of year you are going it would be better in smaller sizes along the edge of weed beds. You probably will get more modest size fish but your numbers will be better.
How much fly tying do you do?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:03 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

pretty much what dan said..... lol.
hes the master!

ARFE
Old 07-06-2011, 05:18 AM

i think i bit off more than i can chew...sweet

i've been up there before, and i've had one on line while trolling (with a rapella) across deep water, but i know a grassy bay about 10 or 15 min paddle from the island i'm staying at that i hope to get to to grab one on fly.