The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

View Poll Results: Unethical to catch bass on the beds?
Yes 7 30.43%
No 16 69.57%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2005, 01:05 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fishing for Bass on the beds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hilbert
Fshfanatic, you don't fish everyday, you don't take 5 bass everyday - the fisheries biologists know that and set the limits accordingly.
I understand that. But... You could. Therein lies the issue.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:16 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Question Re: Fishing for Bass on the beds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougm
Just curious ... When exploiting these poor fish you call bass, do you fish barbed or barbless hooks?
Just curious how is it exploitation & what does it matter what type of hook you use?

Quote:
And now, my thought for the day: If you can't catch them, you don't have to release them.
Doug
I am not sure I am getting the point you are trying to relay.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:57 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

I don't think that it's unethical to catch them on the beds. I do think that people make more out of it and than there is. Even though I catch and release bass I try not to target them on the beds. Sometimes it just so happens that you do hook them on the beds. This is getting of the topic. The thing that makes me mad are the people that keep everything that they catch regardless of size bluegills & crappies especially. These same people are the first to complain later that the fishing isn't as good as it used to be. Keep some of good size release the rest.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:26 PM

FowlHabit is on a distinguished road

I personaaly keep very few of the fish I manage to catch. Everyone has thier own set of morals and they should be respected if within the set of laws set in thier area. To some if it's legal it's OK to others everything should be catch and release. Hopefully our local Fish and Game laws will protect enough to allow a next season. Banning all bedded fish sounds like the start down a slippery slope that would lead to all fishing being considered both unfair and cruel. Hopefully when a sportsman/woman progresses they will realize they must help out to keep the sport we love and support it in a way they see fit.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:43 AM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just curious ... do you fish barbed or barbless hooks? ...Doug
I've heard many places that barbless hooks are better for bass, since the larger diameter hooks normally used for bass have a hard time getting the barb into the tough heads of large bass. I crimped down the barbs on my bass flies, and I do believe I lose fewer bass. Some still get off, especially when I use longer bunny-fur streamers. I think the bass grab the fly by the tail, and don't even get the hook into their mouth.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 06-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

I use barbless on the small mountain streams that I fish. Its less harmful to the small fish, hook set is better, and I can get them off faster so I can recast and catch another fish. Otherwise, I'll fish with barbs unless the regulations prohibit them.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:20 PM

gregorykicks is on a distinguished road

i've smashed the barbs on some of my wolley buggers that I use when i'm bluegill fishing since they hit hard and swallow deep. That way I can get them off much quicker. With my smaller flies i keep the barb cause a fly the size of your pinkie nail isn't a lot of hook to keep a 13" trout on, and when I catch the small fish with the small fly it's usually fairly easy to get out.
As for fishing bass on the beds.. i'm neither here nor their...
as far as c&r i release everything almost all the time (except trout, I only release trout when i've reached my limit) why? tennesse is 100% stocked trout and all but one of the rivers I fish on don't stay cold enough year round to keep the trout alive, and on that river I only keep what's for dinner that night.

if i keep it, it's supper, and I gut them right then and there. Less suffering for them since it's a much quicker kill, and when you kill a fish that's trying to get away you appreciate it's life much more than a fish that died of asphixation and doesn't flop everywhere when you slice it open.

Greg