The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

View Poll Results: Unethical to catch bass on the beds?
Yes 7 30.43%
No 16 69.57%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2005, 07:14 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Fishing for Bass on the beds.

The water is reaching that temp and I am seeing bass on the beds at the local ponds. I love catching these agressive fish.

Is it in your opiniun unethical to cast into the beds and take these bass? I am a C&R kinda guy, but I realize it is stressfull...

Opinions
Old 03-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

I would say it is unethical but then again, so is half the things we do for fun anymore. The bass is a much more resilient animal then say the Trout. It also helps that they are spawning in the spring too. They won't have the whole winter ahead like a trout to replenish the energy the used up. I would say that if you see them actively engaged in spawning, close your eyes and leave those alone but other then that, enjoy.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:14 PM

I wont cast to pairs. Only the singles. which is generally pre or post spawn.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:06 AM

And no filming them for the internet!!
Old 03-03-2005, 03:39 PM

Cliff Hilbert will become famous soon enoughCliff Hilbert will become famous soon enough

There is absolutely nothing wrong or unethical in fishing for bedding bass. Whether you keep them or let them go doesn't matter one littlle bit. I let mine go, but I definitely have no problem fishing for spawning bass, crappie or bream. If it was wrong then Texas Parks & Wildlife would make it illegal. The fact that they don't, and they are the experts in fisheries management, tells me that there is nothing wrong with it.

Those who hunt deer, elk, moose, etc usually shoot the trophy animals. When was the last time you heard anyone say that was unethical? Have you ever heard of hunters releasing the animal they just shot?

People have gone way off balance in this Catch and Release thing. A certain number of fish need to be taken out of the lakes, otherwise the lakes will become overpopulated with a bunch of small, skinny fish. Marine biologists will be the first ones to tell you that proper lake management includes removing certain numbers of fish from a lake. They set the legal fish limits based on their expertise in fisheries management - they expect and WANT people to take legal fish out of the lakes.

LSU TIGERS!
Old 03-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

It doesn't look like we need to ask Cliff to clarify his position does it??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old 03-03-2005, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hilbert
Those who hunt deer, elk, moose, etc usually shoot the trophy animals. When was the last time you heard anyone say that was unethical? Have you ever heard of hunters releasing the animal they just shot?
All my hunting is catch and release.

Seriously though. One can not compair Elk hunting to Bass fishing. In Elk season you get 1 a yr. How many Bass can you leagally keep in a yr? if yo fished EVERYDAY and took home a limit of 5 that would be 1825 Bass a yr. If you hunted ELK everyday of the yr and took your limit home, you would still have only 1.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hilbert
There is absolutely nothing wrong or unethical in fishing for bedding bass. Whether you keep them or let them go doesn't matter one littlle bit. I let mine go, but I definitely have no problem fishing for spawning bass, crappie or bream. If it was wrong then Texas Parks & Wildlife would make it illegal. The fact that they don't, and they are the experts in fisheries management, tells me that there is nothing wrong with it.

People have gone way off balance in this Catch and Release thing. A certain number of fish need to be taken out of the lakes, otherwise the lakes will become overpopulated with a bunch of small, skinny fish. Marine biologists will be the first ones to tell you that proper lake management includes removing certain numbers of fish from a lake. They set the legal fish limits based on their expertise in fisheries management - they expect and WANT people to take legal fish out of the lakes.
AMEN! This is sound advise. While C&R is a good thing, like anything it can be overdone and lead to as many problems for a fishery as taking too many. Balance is the key. If we were going to worry about what is and is not the most "ethical" thing to do, I am sure jamming hooks through the faces of the fish in the first place would be out. I say get em'!
Old 03-04-2005, 08:11 AM

Cliff Hilbert will become famous soon enoughCliff Hilbert will become famous soon enough

Fshfanatic, you don't fish everyday, you don't take 5 bass everyday - the fisheries biologists know that and set the limits accordingly.

LSU TIGERS!
Old 03-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Cast Like A Pro

dougm will become famous soon enoughdougm will become famous soon enough

Just curious ... When exploiting these poor fish you call bass, do you fish barbed or barbless hooks? And now, my thought for the day: If you can't catch them, you don't have to release them.

Always delighted to offer my sage advice gained over the ages...

Doug

Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair
www.douglasmacnair.com