The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 08:53 AM

Location: Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl, a mere mile from the rim of the Everglades
bocamike is on a distinguished road
Default Need help tieing fly to tippet

Other than being fairly new to fly fishing, my eyes aren't what they need to be, and my fingers too clumbsy to enable efficient fly changes when needed. My fishing domain is south Florida where the bass are plentiful (even here in my own back yard canal), so I'm dealing with flies bigger and bulkier than what the river trout angler has to work with. I've tried my prescription bifocals, and seemingly all other visual aids but to no avail. I'm wondering if I might try to "pre-tie" my flies to a short section of tippet while settled at my work bench with lighted magnifying glass, then use the "loop to loop" connection between tippet and leader when a quick fly change is called for? Seems such a method would require an unusually large loop at the end of the leader (to accommodate passage of the bulkier bass flies), but I thought I'd pose that question here to ask if anyone has had luck with this solution. I'd be interested to hear any other ideas too, so please send them my way. Thanks.

PS. Do they make some sort of carrying case or board to transport multiple pre-tied flies as I propose in my above solution?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:28 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Need help tieing fly to tippet

Try some Fast Snaps, tie one on your tippet then run the clip in the eye of the hook. They come in a couple of different sizes... I found them on Cabela's.com

Dan
Old 07-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi bocamike,

The NO-Knot Fast Snaps suggested by Dan would be a good way to go. Get the smallest size which is 3/16 of an inch.

I also like the Norman Lures Speed Clip. The speed clip is a little tricky to open. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to hold them open. I have not used them for flies but for big bass flies they should work.

Another alternative is to use a Furled leader with a ring in the end. Then you can just tie the tippet with the pretied fly onto the ring. You can use a Tie-Fast tool to tie your knot. It makes the knot tying much easier even with clumsy fingers. With a little practice you can tie your fly to the tippet with no problems with the Tie-Fast Tool.

Frank

No-Knot Fast Snaps
Click the image to open in full size.

Norman Speed Clips

Tie-Fast Knot Tying Tool
Old 07-08-2011, 11:27 AM

Location: Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl, a mere mile from the rim of the Everglades

Many thanks to Dan and Frank for the multiple ideas. I'll go study each of those suggestions and see how quickly and effectively I can put one or more to use. I'm glad I asked. Now to the Cabela web site. Thanks again.
Mike in Boca Raton, Florida

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

PS. Regarding any thought of a loop to loop connection between leader and tippet, is that "taboo" perhaps due to the required loop size on the leader, or could it be a bad method to connect dissimilar sized lines? Just curious.

Where might I research how to ferrule the leader with a ring attached? That sounds intrigueing provided the ring doesn't present negative impact.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:34 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

All great suggestions from forum members. To answer two of your other questions, you could definitely pre-tie some tippets with flies attached and a perfection loop in the end. Just tie a larger perfection loop (Orvis_Knots) in the end of your leaders in order to pass the larger flies through the loop. I would guess at some point the larger loop could cause a problem, but I see more advantages to you in this situation than detriments.

In answer to your other question regarding something to carry those pre-tied flies and tippets in, Orvis makes a box (Fly Fishing Fly Boxes / Dropper Rig Fly Box -- Orvis) for multiple, pre-tied fly rigs that would work perfectly for you to solve this dilemma.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Kelly.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:17 PM

Kelly, thank you for your confirmation of my loop to loop idea using pretied tippits. I'll give that a try while I await delivery of the No-Knot Fast Snaps, and the Tie-Fast tool.

Also, I jsut learned of and veiwed a you tube demo of the Davy Knot which appears quite simple to tie, and is advertised to be strongest of all. I may set up a test bench to see just how easily I might be able to deal with the Davy.

Thanks again. All responses are leading me much closer to a solution than where I was when I joined this forum this morning. What a deal.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

PS (again), for those following this topic of discussion, I just experimented with a few Davy Knot ties for my fly to tippet connection............ it was quick, and less frustrating by far, than any other knot attempted for this purpose. I'm not declaring victory yet, until I try the other suggestions supplied here. But for those who aren't familiar, you might try this one for your own needs.

Davy Knot......... said to possess 100% strength..... (hopeully I know how to insert a link.......if not, please do yourself a favor and Google "Davy Knot"

Field & Stream's Guide to Basic Camping and Fishing Knots (Now With More New Knots!) | Field & Stream
Old 07-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I just started using the Davy Knot on my last fishing trip and found it outstanding and the easiest fishing knot I ever tied. There are a couple of good tutorials for the Davy Knot on YouTube. It was was created by Davy Wotton when he was couching the U.S. fly fishing team to make fly changes fast and simple as possible.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:55 PM

Flybum, thanks for your supporting comments re, the Davy Knot. From first impressions, I really think it has merit as a solution to my dilemma.

BTW, I do golf, but I try to sneak along a mini-spnning rod for the occasional opportunity to snag a lunker bass on the links......such is the life here in south Florida.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I can add to what the others have mentioned is a knot I use for streamers. I can explain how to tie it easily enough, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of it. Davo uses the same knot (others too I'm sure), maybe he'll chime in later with a name.

1. Make a single over hand knot, but do not pull it tight, leave a small loop.
2. Pass tag end through the eye of the fly.
3. Holding onto fly and loop (between thumb and index finger) pass tag end through loop.
4. Draw the loop down onto the tag end.
5. Adjust your loop to desired size.
6. Make another overhand loop with tag end and draw tight against first overhand knot to secure.

I suppose you can draw the loop all the way down to the hook eye without compromising knot strength, but I leave it as a loop for more action on the fly.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 07-08-2011, 07:21 PM

pond fishin is on a distinguished road

You can also do what I do at times. I have several leaders with flies tied to each one. Instead of changing the tippet, I change the whole leader with a loop to loop connection. Its sounds expensive buyin a leader for each fly but they last a lot longer since you don't have to cut any off when tying on a new fly. And since you fish for bass like me, just save the shorter thicker leaders for big bass bugs and streamers. Then you only need to keep a few newer ones for throwing a topwater cricket or any small bug that you want to land a little softer. Its pretty quick to change just make sure the perfection loops you tie are large enough to fit the fly itself through.