The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2006, 04:12 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough
Default Winter Pond fishing..

Last Sunday a buddy invited me to fish a nice pond. The days had warmed to around 70 all week and that seems to turn on bass in this deep clear farm pond..While my buddy chunked his spinner bait, I cast my 6wt with my sparsely tied white & chartruce clouser. It would let it sink 4 to 5 feet and landed just as many nice 2lb bass and a half dozen nice crappie..I caught just as many as he and had a great morning..My tip is when it is warm in December and January be sure and hit a good pond..Mccurtian County, Oklahoma..
Old 12-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Winter Pond fishing..

Great advice there Mike, warm spells get the fish excited for a break from sluggishness and we should take advantage and follow their lead. I think I like fishing sunny winter days more than any other time because the welcomed break from grey gloomy cloudiness makes all of nature even more appealing to see and enjoy. Merry Christmas to all, and to all, Tight Lines!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLove View Post
My tip is when it is warm in December and January be sure and hit a good pond..Mccurtian County, Oklahoma..
Now, that just don't go together here (WARM & DEC.or JAN. what the heck is that!) You majorly bumbed me out!Just kidding, the rivers here right now are smokin'!
Old 01-04-2007, 02:14 PM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road

Is there a time period that finds the fish more active after a cold/rain spell? IE will they tend to be the most active within 24-36 hours after or is that not a factor?Thanks, Bruce
Old 02-14-2007, 05:45 PM

Yoffione is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLove View Post
My tip is when it is warm in December and January be sure and hit a good pond..Mccurtian County, Oklahoma..
I did not know there were any fly fisherman in McCurtain County, OK. Just kidding, I know it is getting more popular with the Mountain Fork. I even went to the new (new to me) flyshop around Beavers Bend. Nice place.

I was at Broken Bow (my family is from Hugo, and I have an uncle in Idabel) a few years back and hopped on a buddies bass boat. He looked at my fly rod and said "what is that thang". When I started casting he hit the deck. After he saw I wasn't going to hook him and I was catching fish he settled down. We were over by the golf course later in the day and I heard a guy say "what in the hell is that guy doing?" refering to me casting. About 3 minutes later I pulled out a 3lb largemouth right in front of him. It felt good and we got a good chuckle out of it.

That evening I was throwing a double bunny on a submerged hump on the west side of the lake and I landed 8.6 lb largemouth. She had just spawned so she was skinny. If she was at her normal weight she would have been 10+. My buddy was ready to get a fly rod then. I always take advantage of an opportunity to show that fish. Dang, I thought I had a pic at work. It is at home and I'll post tonight. Anyway, awesome day, 5 species on a fly. Largemouth, smallmouth, spotted and white bass and walleye. Great to see someone from home flyfishing. Keep it up.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:05 PM

Got it. That was a 5 weight with a clear intermediate line and a double bunny (my favorite big fish fly of all time salt of fresh) sticking out of her mouth. I wish the fish had the gut and not me.
Click the image to open in full size.

MikeLove you live in a great area for fishing. Alot of different opportunities. I hope to be able to make it down this fall to see my folks.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:41 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about
Re: Winter Pond fishing..

Sweet..... is that a hi-tech bass boat under your feet? Or a belly boat on steroids?

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 02-15-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroostookbasser View Post
Sweet..... is that a hi-tech bass boat under your feet? Or a belly boat on steroids?
Just a 18' Champion with a 150 hp on it. Great way to get around the lake in a hurry. I took the back seat out and it makes an awesome casting deck. The motor made me nervous a few times, fish always seem to go straight for the dang prop.