The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 10:50 AM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about
Default It's Summertime and the fish ar jumping, but

they won't bite. Yesterday was nice, got two Smallmouth and a Pickerel who cut the leader before I could grab him). But today the Smallmouth were just jumping all over the place all around me. Would not touch anything I tried, which were Sneaky Pete popper, wooly buggers (BH and not) and Heavy Helgi.

Any suggestions for getting their attention? Perhaps a good old dry fly?

Pictures from yesterday.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's Summertime and the fish ar jumping, but

Sounds like a dry fly couldn't hurt-- did you see any sign of bugs on the surface or in the air, or birds like swallows diving around picking insects out of the air? This time of year sometimes you'll birds swooping around at tree top level picking off mayfly spinners.

For smallmouth some general dry flies that might be good to have: size 10 or 12 bushy durable hairwing flies like Wulffs or Humpies, Stimulators, and foam or deer hair grasshopper patterns. These are funn to fish and would be a good choices to throw if they're not responding to your poppers and sneaky petes.

But depending where you are, and the water you fish fish, you may have some specific "Big Deal" hatches that may be going on now. If so, they're worth imitating with more specific patterns. In the East and Midwest, these summer hatches generally happen around dusk and into the evening and can drive smallmouth (and trout) nuts when they occur.

White fly - a white mayfly that hatches around dusk and into the evening often in huge numbers (White Wulff size 12 or 14)

Hex- This is a huge mayfly, with a many popular imitations, deer hair extended body, or 3xl size 6-8. Spinners can be active way after dark, so bring a flashlight and tie on a heavy leader.

Light Cahills and Pale Evening Duns there are a variety of summer mayflies with light creamy yellow body light cream or pale gray wings. Light Cahills, Pale Evening Duns or any similar shade dries like a creamy yellow body with a bleached deer hair wing Comparadun or Sparkle Dun size 12 or 14.

Hellgrammites (larvae) turn into Dobson Flies (adults) Woolly buggers for the larvae and 3" long Stimulators or foam creations for the adults.

Hope this helps.

mark
Old 07-15-2011, 02:08 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Try some medium size white streamers, brown rams wool leeches, crayfish patterns, or some big Cherynobl Ants; tye the ants with extra long rubber legs, the wiggle drives Smallies crazy...

Dan
Old 07-15-2011, 04:07 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: It's Summertime and the fish ar jumping, but

Those 2 bass look like LM instead of SM...black lateral line, the big head on the lower pic, and the extended jaw. The first pic has the facial markings of a SM though.

Try some imitation grasshoppers...I caught plenty of SM on live ones (back in my spincast days). Try a mickey finn streamer. Try an imitation cricket.

Sometimes fish want natural foods...I have cast with active crappies all around me, and not a single bite from the flyrod!

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-16-2011, 02:34 PM

hillbilly rick is on a distinguished road

SXM,
I'm new to fly fishing and wouldn't know the name of any fly to use, but, I see the same thing often. The others are right, you probably have hatches going on now. These bass may be eating the bugs, but, they could also be eating the minnows, shad or small pan fish. The bass wait lower in the water column then rise fast to grab or injure prey above.
When spin fishing, I would tie on a small rattle trap, a Rapala count down minnow or a 4" tube jig on a1/16oz head to keep it high in the water. As for flies, I don't know what's what but I bet some one here knows what to use to mimic these. Try a minnow imitation that can be kept about a foot or so below the surface, if there is one.
Best of luck
Rick
Old 07-17-2011, 12:40 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

rick,
nice looking bass!

casey

ARFE
Old 07-19-2011, 09:12 PM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the responses. Yes, there were a lot of insects on the water that day. Those Smallmouth can really jump. One of its distinctive characteristics.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

those are largemouth bass, not smallies. just so you know
Old 07-28-2011, 10:07 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

One word: ANTS

Don't dead drift them though, skate them on moving water and twitch them on still water...

I like to tie them on a steelhead dry fly hook, don't mess with the typical Trout type ant pattern, tie them a bit bigger...

As others already stated, those are Largemouth bud...
Old 07-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Could you see what they were jumping after?