The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2007, 11:58 PM

EastTexas will become famous soon enoughEastTexas will become famous soon enough
Default Two-Hand/Spey Fly Rods For Bass?

Would a Two-Hand/Spey Fly Rods be any better than a traditional single hand smallmouth/largemouth bass rod in a 6/7, 8/9 WT? This would be used on a small lake.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:53 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two-Hand/Spey Fly Rods For Bass?

Don't know about better, but it would be fun. They do have switch rods that are longer than most regular rods with a smaller than spey butt for that purpose.
I am looking at a 12' 5wt.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I can't think of any situations where i would want to use a spey rod on E TX lakes for bass. If you're wanting to be able to cast over 100' from the bank, you're always gonna be best off with a spinning or casting rig. Either that, or look into a "shooting head" set-up for distance casting.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I can't think of any situations where i would want to use a spey rod on E TX lakes for bass. If you're wanting to be able to cast over 100' from the bank, you're always gonna be best off with a spinning or casting rig. Either that, or look into a "shooting head" set-up for distance casting.
Round here, spey or switch (which is going to be a little easier to handle) is a big plus. Great on rivers for mending or even hi-sticking so to speak, plus can get out even on windy days. The only fishing I did in Texas was off the Gulf and completely different ballgame. Never fished any of the rivers or even the lakes for Bass, but don't knock it till you try it. Spey is becoming real popular but unlike fly fishing I would think a teacher is a MUST. To learn the swirls and all the great stuff that goes with spey. However, that switch would just be an extention on what you already got.
By the way, I can cast into my backing with ease on my 10'. I know I probably won't be doing that on water, but I can see the advantage in a tube or toon.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:41 PM

EastTexas will become famous soon enoughEastTexas will become famous soon enough

Why I am asking about Spey & Switch Rods is for the second time; two years in a row I have pulled an arm muscle. I have a 8' 6WT & a 9' 5WT, I did have a 8' 8WT that just about killed me to cast it due to it being an Ugly Stick. I target panfish & bass due to trout-less East Texas. I don't know if would even be better off with a short flyrod?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexas View Post
Why I am asking about Spey & Switch Rods is for the second time; two years in a row I have pulled an arm muscle. I have a 8' 6WT & a 9' 5WT, I did have a 8' 8WT that just about killed me to cast it due to it being an Ugly Stick. I target panfish & bass due to trout-less East Texas. I don't know if would even be better off with a short flyrod?
I hear you on the arm muscle. I have a bad shoulder, which I have learned to work around. Got to find something that will work with you, not against.
Tight Lines .
Old 01-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Woohoo! I honestly want to thank you two for attacking my post. I jumped to conclusions that were unfounded and possibly condescending, and I apologize for doing so. EastTexas, you were absolutely right to seek out spey gear as a way to get both hands involved in applying power to the rod/cast. Using a two handed rod will allow you to apply power with the unaffected limb and also might be a Godsend when it comes to casting from the bank and avoiding the trees and such behind you.

I've never had to work around a pulled arm muscle, but I am learning how to work around carpal tunnel, or possibly just wrist-area tendonitis in my casting. Using both hands to cast makes more sense in many ways and I think this method will become more and more popular in coming years.

Learning to cast a two handed rod efficiently on stillwaters will be a bit of a challenge, but probably not much more so than getting the timing of a double haul just right.

Good luck to you, and feel free to consult sexyloops.com for further advice. Its content is much more tame than the title would suggest.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.