The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 01:18 PM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road
Default Smaller rod for smaller streams and creeks?

When you guys fish the small streams or areas with overhead foliage and canopy do you prefer to use a smaller rod set up? Ive got several small streams here with bass and a metric ton of blue gill and the only problem I face is that most of the areas have trees/bushes and other cover that serverely interferes with casting a 9ft rod. Do you guys prefer to use shorter rods in areas like this, or have you adapted your casting to suit these areas?Thanks, Bruce
Old 01-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smaller rod for smaller streams and creeks?

I do. That is why I bought the 5'3" glass rod and I had a 7' Lamiglass 4wt built. But I also have a 6' 3wt (W.W.Griggs). Doesn't cast worth a ****, but a great brushy area stick. Went to small creek in American Fork, I sling shot the flie under a bridge with my Hubby watching. The tip started twitching, so he asked if that was me or a fish...I smiled and said a fish. It was LOL
There is no way you could take a 8' or longer rod in this stretch.
But I also took that Griggs to the Provo, and while I caught fish, it was a struggle to get the line out, so that rod does have it's limits. The 5'3" takes a few minutes to get the timing down, but it cast 60 ft fairly easy. Not needed for that creek, but I just mean that short rods can be multitasking if you get the right one.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

In some of those situations a shorter rod is the way to go, but you also sometimes may be better off with your 9' rod. If the cover is so thick behind you that you can't cast overhead, the longer rod will work better for roll casting. I spent many an afternoon after class crouched down on the banks of the San Antonio River in Brackenridge Park doing exactly this. (Bass, sunfish, RGP's, and Tilapia all there, can't pass that up. As to whether fishing is officially allowed in the park, I'm pleading the fifth.) So if you've got low cover overhead, but room for a backcast, then a short rod may be the way to go. But if you can't backcast, you can roll cast much further with a 9' rod than you can with a 6 footer. Casting sidearm can help lots also. -----------------------------------------(gotta break this up some)--------------------------------------------------Yet another technique is a backcast delivery. Its exactly like it sounds, instead of presenting the fly on the forward cast, you just position yourself and your cast so that the delivery is on the back cast. So if you were standing in a tightly canopied river, facing upstream, and closer to the left bank, but wanted to cast downstream from where you are, you could do so with a back cast delivery. It takes some practice, but can be very useful. It can also come in handy on windy days so that the wind isn't blowing your cast into you.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:08 PM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies.Bruce
Old 01-19-2007, 11:45 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

I know this may seem like a "fly fisherman's cop out,but try using an ultralight spinning rod. ( Most are onlyabout 5.5' to 6' in length & work well for bluegill, etc. )If you want to use a fly rod try using the "slingshot" cast.The only drawback using this method is the length of thecast. Try practicing first. It maybe an option to try. Oryou could always "roll cast" for them too.Best of Luck,Tie One On
Old 01-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

How does one hold onto a spinning rod? This seems problematic and could possibly cause nasty blisters. I know nothing of this spinning rod jibberish.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Bruce, Some times if you are fishing small streams that you can't wade, a longer rod is useful. You can poke in-between bushes and trees. Kind of like a high stick drift. I grew up in California and fished a lot of small streams with a long fly rod with a under lever spin reel. I used 4lb mono and fished salmon eggs. There was no real cast I just used a line the length of the rod and fliped it out. It was very effective for catching small trout. Frank
Old 01-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

These Creeks that I fish have a cliff behind you and trees that meet in the middle over hanging the river. True you could just point a longer rod out over the river and let it drift down, but very problemmatic to get it back up the river, let alone chancing breaking a tip trying to get there. Little 6' rods can be flipped, specially a glass rod which would allow you to roll cast or sling shot it.
As far a spinning gear AHHHHH! my ears! Chicken!!! LOL