The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2007, 10:26 AM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road
Default SJ Worm for Bass fishing....?

Has anyone ever used the San Juan worm or other worms while flyfishing for Bass? If so what were the results? One of the reasons I ask is that here in Lake Amistad, when using spinning gear, one of my go to lures is any work in earth/pumpkin or earth/chartreuse......THoughts?Bruce
Old 01-25-2007, 10:39 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SJ Worm for Bass fishing....?

I'd say try it. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Bass eat worms and if you fish it in colors that they like.... I think you will catch some on it.

One thing I have learned is that the confidence you have in a fly makes a difference on how much fish you catch with it.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 01-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

San Juan Worms work great for bream on pretty much all lakes. Should work well for bass too.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

The short answer is yes, the San Juan worm will catch Largemouth Bass. The problem is the SJ Worm is too small. A chammy worm that is tied larger would be a better choice. You can dye the chammy worm with markers if the natural color doesn't work. I have seen small plastic worms used in the Colorado that were about 3 or 4 inches long with the body about 1/8" in diameter. These should work well. Worms are generally used in heavy cover and that would be a problem with the exposed hook on the SJ Worm. You will need to experiment but I am sure you can work out a solution if the water conditions are OK. A setup like a drop shot may be something to try. With the drop shot you don't need to worry about the hook getting caught up in the cover. Frank
Old 01-26-2007, 10:36 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

I have never tied or used a SJW.What is the best recipe for tying that fly ? ( I've noticedseveral recipes in recent magazines. ) Does anyone putsome lead-free wire on the shank to get the fly down ?Also, how do you fish them ? Just let them " go withthe flow", or do you strip them slowly ?Do trout take them as well ?Tie One On
Old 01-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Furled worms are pretty easy to make for the application your interested in. Having a rotary vise makes tying them pretty simple. Basically pick a chenille that is half as thick as you want the final worm to be. Cut off a piece of chenille that is roughly 2.5 times as long as you want the final product to measure. Tie in the chenille along the shank of a streamer hook, and place the bobbin in the cradle so that it will stay put as the fly is being rotated MANY times. Furl the chenille and leave enough extra before tying off so that you can wrap it up to the hook eye. Tie off and whip finish and you're done. Here's another approach: http://www.jackgartside.com/step_wiggle_worm.htm

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie one on View Post
I have never tied or used a SJW.What is the best recipe for tying that fly ? ( I've noticedseveral recipes in recent magazines. ) Does anyone putsome lead-free wire on the shank to get the fly down ?Also, how do you fish them ? Just let them " go withthe flow", or do you strip them slowly ?Do trout take them as well ?Tie One On
Wow, lots of ways to tye a SJW. The most common uses Chenille of the desire color. You simply tye the Chenille over the back of the hook tying off at the front and back of the hook. Sometimes I put a touch of super glue along the back of the hook gluing the Chenille to the hook. Then tye as normal. A new twist is to put a metal bead in the middle of the hook over the Chenille. This will add some weight. My favorite SJW is tied with Chammy. You cut the Chammy with a razor blade to the desired shape. You can leave the ends square or I prefer to cut them to a point. Another trick is to burn the pointed end with a lighter to just singe the ends. This gives the worm a unique look. Another option is to spiral wrap the body with a contasting thread like a Zebra Midge. Most SJW are not weighted. They are fished with a midge tied onto the bend of the SJW. Split-shot is used on the leader to get it down to the desired depth. They are fished with an indicator that can be used to help adjust depth. Yarn indicators are my favorite. Frank
Old 01-26-2007, 11:54 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Nice tye ........Chammy? ......cool.......I tye a "worm" using a short shank of antron yarn..... twist tie wire and super glue.Take a wire twist tie (minus the paper cover)and work it up through a shank of yarn.......trim. Glue it to hook and using thread to tie it down...create the worm segments.....head,thorax, and such........glue thread and let dry.Cheap and yarn comes in many colors ..............

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 01-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroostookbasser View Post
Nice tye ........Chammy? ......cool.......I tye a "worm" using a short shank of antron yarn..... twist tie wire and super glue.Take a wire twist tie (minus the paper cover)and work it up through a shank of yarn.......trim. Glue it to hook and using thread to tie it down...create the worm segments.....head,thorax, and such........glue thread and let dry.Cheap and yarn comes in many colors ..............
That is an interesting way to tye a worm. Seems like it woud be stiff. The Chammy works well because it folds and moves with the currant. I learned about the Chammy worm from Abe's on the San Juan probably 11 years ago. ---Frank
Old 01-28-2007, 07:06 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

"My bad" ...... the wire is only in a 1/3 area, aids in tying it in and for forming an s like curvature inthe body.... ends move easily........fluttering in current....

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"