The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 12:31 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fast water fish.

When most people think of getting fish from fast water rivers and having to read the water, they think of Trout. This is a very overlooked warm water spot. There is a place I fish every year that has very fast water most of the time and just plain fast the rest of it. I fish this area for Walleye, Smallmouth and Pike. This river dumps into a very large, slow and deep river so the fish up in these fast waters do not actually have to be there. By far the most common fish I catch there is Walleye. I have never caught a small one there. In fact the smallest I have ever caught there was a 22 1/2 inch fish. Most of them run over 25 inches. If you asked 100 Walleye fishermen if they thought there was a single Walleye there you would most likely get 100 "No, not a chance." Generally speaking there are never more than 3 or 4 fish in a spot like this, but all will be big. That goes for the other odd species you hook in there to. I hooked a 42" Northern in it a couple of weeks ago. The type of spot I am talking about here is where you have a fast river dumping into a deeper slow water river or lake. I don't mean in the slow water or the lake either. I mean up in the fast water. If you look at where the rocks are they create dead water spots and spots where the water runs back up the river. Pretend you are looking for big Trout. They use the same kind of spots.

In this first picture you can see the water pretty well behind me. Notice that it is far from calm and slow. This is about the smallest Walleye I ever get in a spot like this. It's a 23 inch fish.
Click the image to open in full size.

This is a much more common size fish. When I hooked it, she ran down stream in the fast water and pulled a pile of line. You have to do some planning on where to land fish in a spot like this.

Every once in a while you get something other than Walleye in there, and most of the time they are big as well. This kind of spot seems to hold the bigger fish in the area. I'm willing to bet that when smaller fish move in they are either eaten or chased out. Our Sauger are a small strain here so if you get a 19" fish it is as big as you will likely ever catch. This was a surprise fish I got the other day and it was 17".

So if you have waters like this where you are, don't hesitate to experiment up in the fast water. Not just the bottom of the rapids but up in them also. You may be overlooking the best place for the biggest fish in the area if you don't.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fast water fish.

Dan,

I spent the day searching for trout in small streams with fast water. I came up dry I think because the sockeye are in them. Right now I wish I had a spot like yours to fish.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting Dan....but very surprising to meour "sandres"(walleye)live in lower sections of rivers and streams never in such fast waters.In summer they do like to chase for bleaks under little dams and waterfalls where water is well oxygenated.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:18 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you make it down this way Ard, I'll take you there. I was just looking through my photos and found one that shows where I pull quite a few fish from. If you look under the butt of the Pelican on the far left, you see an eddy made by the rock it's standing on. Right behind the rock and on the edge of the fast water is where I pulled the bigger Walleye from. In fact every fish I have pulled from that spot came from an area smaller than my kitchen table. I actually like the area better when the water slows down a little more and the fish move to the faster water on the other side. It's easier to cover water from there. It's a really hard place to single hand cast from. From either side. In fact you can see where I stand on the rocks past the Pelicans. The lower flat spot on the rock and the rougher rocky spot to the left of it. You need to be about half goat to get to it. From the side I have been fishing I am happy I have every inch of a 15' rod. It's hard to get a fly through a spot at a decent speed with your line being dragged like like a cowboy behind a runaway horse. I actually cast up river there but the way the water goes through the rocks there is a "lane" where the flow is up river. That's where I get most of my really big ones. The intersection of really fast water going over a big submerged rock between the two fast water lanes, and the upriver eddy.

Do you ever fish for Sander (Zander) with a fly rod JP? I would really like to try it someday. They get bigger than our Walleye.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Dan I fished for sander for many years in winter but not with a fly rod for it's nearly impossible to cast from the banks on river Hérault...will try to find some old pics to show them to you.heard there are less and less now because of the huge cats(over 6'!!!)...
Old 07-27-2011, 03:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
heard there are less and less now because of the huge cats(over 6'!!!)...
Wels catfish?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

That rod/reel is just about as impressive as the walleye haha! nice fish!

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-27-2011, 09:38 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Dan - what flies are those walleyes taking?
Gary
Old 07-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Those are some impressive fish. I agree that is an impressive rod and reel as well.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Dan - what flies are those walleyes taking?
Gary
I generally use clousers. Blue and white is a very good color, although I have been messing around with some really off the wall colors. If you look in the mouth of the top fish, it has a Fl. Orange/Yellow clouser in it's lip. In fact I have been doing colors after the Reef Runner crank bait colors. The Fl. Org./Yellow is after there 'Flame' pattern. It works well enough I tied more. I have done a few other colors that I have not tried yet but if these weird patterns work well, and they should, I'll do a post in the flies section. I also tie these with glow in the dark flashabou and paint the eyes with glow in the dark Pro Tec powder paint. My Canadian friend even got a Smallie in the dark with one the other day. Another pattern that works really well is a black Marabou leech pattern I tie clouser style. As you can see the area, in fact most of my good spots, are really snaggy. It's pretty easy with a spey rod to cast past a snag and get the fly back but occasionally it won't come loose. So I started tying them on #2 Aberdeen hooks and bending the eye down. They tend to ride better with a down eye. The wire in those hooks is thin enough I can bend it out enough to get it back even with a fairly light leader. I still loose a few but it cut the number down drastically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
That rod/reel is just about as impressive as the walleye haha! nice fish!
Thanks! I built it on a Meiser 15' 8/9wt. blank. It's my favorite rod. In another thread I just said I want them to put it in the box with me when I "Join the choir invisible."

Here's my favorite fish picture. It's not the biggest Walleye I've caught with it, but the rod shows well and the sunset is really perfect.