The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 03:38 PM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Largest Bluegill I've Ever Caught

That is one large blue gill that you caught
Old 07-10-2012, 09:04 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Largest Bluegill I've Ever Caught

I'm kind of surprised at the color of those bluegill. Most of the larger bluegill I have caught were a darker blue color, is that because they are a different species than most of the smaller, more common ones I catch? If not I wonder why both of the bigger fish here are the same color as the small ones I'm catching.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:14 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

wow i didnt even know they could get that big! nice and rare catch!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
I doubt that it is Tilipia in Ohio, but anything is possible. I was one of those poor anglers who caught a snakehead in a gravel pit when I was a kid. The local biologist called it an "Amazon Pike." He may have been a biologist, but he was geography challenged.
Bottom of page 3 is the reference. Definitely a Tilapia no matter where it was caught. On this page is a gorgeous coppernose bluegill.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-11-2012, 01:24 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Bottom of page 3 is the reference. Definitely a Tilapia no matter where it was caught. On this page is a gorgeous coppernose bluegill.
If you are referring to the original photo I posted, it is definately a bluegill and not Tilapia. Tilapia would not survive our Ohio winters in a shallow pond that has a maximum depth of 5' so it is most definately a bluegill.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
If you are referring to the original photo I posted, it is definately a bluegill and not Tilapia. Tilapia would not survive our Ohio winters in a shallow pond that has a maximum depth of 5' so it is most definately a bluegill.
Not to be picky but you need to pay attention to the posts. As for the original picture you posted I complimented what a great bluegill it was. If you read my most recent post on the Tilipia it says the bottom of page 3. You are no where near there. And again I reiterate it is a tilapia .
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-12-2012, 04:32 PM

jw12 is on a distinguished road

Nice bluegill!
piscatorial_phd likes this.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:41 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

No pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Not to be picky but you need to pay attention to the posts. As for the original picture you posted I complimented what a great bluegill it was. If you read my most recent post on the Tilipia it says the bottom of page 3. You are no where near there. And again I reiterate it is a tilapia .