The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 04:06 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about
Default Largest Bluegill I've Ever Caught

Last year I caught a 13.5" bluegill in Ohio and this baby tops it.

Click the image to open in full size.

For perspective my reel is more than 4" in diameter.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:12 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Largest Bluegill I've Ever Caught

WOW

What an amazing fish...Congratulations

Dave
Old 07-29-2011, 05:34 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Very nice bluegill.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

That is a huge gill!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:28 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Very nice! Congrats!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 07-29-2011, 06:43 PM

rh6898 is on a distinguished road

That is a great catch !
Old 07-29-2011, 06:48 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I caught Bluegills in Florida many years ago that were 12 inches, and I thought they were huge, but that one's a real monster!

Congrats on the personal best!

What fly did you catch it on?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:54 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Largest Bluegill I've Ever Caught

I'd love to hang onto that monster on my flyrod! I have a 4wt just waiting for one that size! You might have a state record.

The WR is over 4 lbs...and 16" long. That's bigger than many LM bass I've caught!

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Dang that's a nice fish! It's weird how some species when they get real big like that have the tiny head thing going on.
It's like they get to a certain size and the head stops growing, but the body keeps on going without it.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:24 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Dang that's a nice fish! It's weird how some species when they get real big like that have the tiny head thing going on.
It's like they get to a certain size and the head stops growing, but the body keeps on going without it.
My son said, "Dad, that looks like a Pacu."

---------- Post added at 05:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
I caught Bluegills in Florida many years ago that were 12 inches, and I thought they were huge, but that one's a real monster!

Congrats on the personal best!

What fly did you catch it on?
This is the best part, it was on one of the poppers I designed to look like the big Pond Hawk dragonflies. It is one of my favorite poppers after heavy downpours, because some of the dragonflies get knocked into the water and the bass and bluegill are frantic to find them.

---------- Post added at 05:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyboy View Post
I'd love to hang onto that monster on my flyrod! I have a 4wt just waiting for one that size! You might have a state record.

The WR is over 4 lbs...and 16" long. That's bigger than many LM bass I've caught!

Cheers,

Robert
Thanks. The big gill I caught a few years ago would have taken a state record, and this would top that one. The problem in Ohio, though is that you have to destroy the fish for verification and I would rather keep those genes in the pond.
eriefly likes this.