The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 03:37 PM

outdoorguy36 will become famous soon enoughoutdoorguy36 will become famous soon enough
Default Having A blast, but getting a little frustrated

Hi, Im new to the forum and to fly fishing. I have been out three times to the river by my house and have caught fish every time and am having a blast. The frustrating part is I cant seem to land the fish. I have caught around ten total a mix of smallies and rock bass. I think I have slack in line or to much line out but three times now I have lost good smallies do to not having a clue how to fight the fish once its hooked. Do I reel in the line with my hand or use the reel. Iwhat i've been doing isnt working. I end up with my feet all wrapped up in line and the smallie jumping several times and getting enough slack to throw popper. Im sure its been comical for my neighbors to watch of an eveing while they set on there deck iengjoying the river
Old 08-04-2011, 04:24 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Having A blast, but getting a little frustrated

Unless its a monster, you can easily bring it in by striping line with your left hand (if your reel is left hand wind) and tacking it between strips to the handle with a finger on your right hand. If its a bigger fish and you need to "get it on the reel", keep pressure on the fish by holding the line to the grip (same as above), and reeling like crazy to get the slack line up out of the water and onto the reel.
You'll get the hang of it,
Gary
Old 08-04-2011, 04:28 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

You should have the line under the middle finger of your line hand at all times when not actually casting or mending line. That way, when stripping line in, you are ready at a moment's notice to set the hook.

Then, depending on what the fish is doing, and its size you can either give him line and let him run while keeping some pressure on the line slipping through your line hand, or use your line hand to retrieve line which runs through the middle finger of your rod hand. You can then clamp the line again with your middle finger, and re-grab the line close to the rod with your line hand again so you can haul more back in.

Some guys will reel up the slack onto the reel whenever they think they can - like when the fish is holding his place but not really runnning.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-04-2011, 05:00 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

There ya go, outdoorguy, two ways of saying exactly the same thing. lol. Must be a good way to proceed.
GT
Old 08-04-2011, 05:47 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Depending on the size of the reel and the drag, you may even be able to reel in the fish like with a spinning reel, while also palming the spool rim at times to limit the fish's runs.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-04-2011, 06:59 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
There ya go, outdoorguy, two ways of saying exactly the same thing. lol.
I guess I need a speed typing course.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:07 PM

outdoorguy36 will become famous soon enoughoutdoorguy36 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the fast replies. Definetly Not big fish. Should have been able to use my hand just got all messed up.They might have been around fourteen inches or so but the way I was all tangled up It looked like they were monsters lol
Old 08-04-2011, 07:12 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Having A blast, but getting a little frustrated

Hi Outdoorguy!

Welcome to the forum and flyfishing!

You can do everything correct, and still lose the fish. If you get a solid hookset (with barbed hooks), you can give the fish slack and still land that fish. This is one reason I continue to use barbed hooks.

Here's a tip to keep fish from jumping: lower your rod tip when fighting a fish. I've "highsticked" bluegills and shiners, and they dance on the water like a LM bass! Then again, SM bass love to jump like king salmon.

Losing fish is a part of fishing...it's gonna happen!

Cheers,

Robert
Old 08-04-2011, 07:20 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Without seeing what you are doing, I might suggest that you are not stripping in the line fast enough. Not stripping fast enough is often a problem when learning.

Just don't give up...It will come to you.

Dave
Old 08-04-2011, 07:51 PM

Definetly not giving up. I done alot better this evening caught five and didnt loose any. Casting is greatly improving and good thing is the smallies in the river here eagerly hit about anything.