The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 11:45 AM

outdoorguy36 will become famous soon enoughoutdoorguy36 will become famous soon enough
Default What rod and reel for musky?

I'm addicted to fly fishing now and plan to fly fish for musky net year but have no idea what to use. In searching it seems alot of people use saltwater gear. Do I need a 10 wt or bigger or could I get by with a 8wt?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What rod and reel for musky?

Depends the average size of pike where you fish...if they're not too big ...a 8wt will do.As for the reel a L A with a good drag.there are some pike fan members...they should give you more detailed answers.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:55 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Large flies? I'm thinking more than an 8 weight
Old 08-08-2011, 03:21 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Good question, outdoorguy, that makes me wonder if I can use the 12wt I'm aiming to get for muskelunge as well....

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-26-2011, 09:27 AM

edw is on a distinguished road

I have been fishing Muskies only all year and I have had a lot of time on the water to find the "sweet" set up. One day I even spent the whole day changing leaders to find the right combo. Any way after 27 Muskies this summer here is what I use. Keep in mind that my home grown flies are strong on fluff and 9-10" long. I have settled on a St Croix Legend 9' for 9 wt line but I use a 8 wt Rio outbound cold water sinking tip. My leader is 4' of Seaguar 130# and 5' of 100# Seaguar. Why so heavy a leader? It turns a big fluff fly very nice and with Muskies you need a leader to ward off sharp teeth so why not combine the two. Anyway the system works perfectly. I almost forgot about the reel. I don't think reels for Muskies are as important as they would be for salt water screamers because Muskies don't make big runs. Any reel with a nice drag will work. I like the medium duty Sage reels but quite frankly they are over kill but cool.
Ed

Last edited by edw; 08-26-2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: forgot to describe reel
Old 08-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

edw-

Good info and also wanted to welcome you to the forum, I see this was your first post here. Hope you stick around it sounds like you have a lot of experience to contribute.

Gatortransplant-- there's no reason you couldn't use a 12-- sometimes I use one for throwing large flies for stripers (I usually use a 9 or 10). The only problem is that 12 weights for the most part are pretty stiff, primarily to fight big fish. They're often used for sight fishing where you often stand around for long periods waiting for something to show up-- like fishing for tarpon on the flats--- and then you throw something at it-- as opposed to repetitive blind casting all day long like you'd probably do for musky, the fish of a 1,000 casts.

A 10 weight by comparison is much more forgiving, and although in the middle between an 8 and a 12, most 10 weights seem to be more similar in action and forgiveness (especially for repetitive casting) to an 8 weight than a 12 weight.

Again there's no reason you couldn't use a 12 weight- and in fact if you do get one for other fish like tarpon, throwing it for musky would be great practice for your trips to the salt.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:55 PM

edw is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcome. I like the forum and I'm sure I will be staying. I am a total Musky fly fishing nut case and that's probably the only subject I can hold my own on.
Ed
Old 08-26-2011, 06:42 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I bet my dad that I would catch a musky before he does, and I would love to do so on a fly rod, especially after feeling how awesome the drag system is on my new alpha II. Ed, I'll be bothering your formula if you don't mind! Now I just need someone to point me toward musky waters in my area... I caught my first NY pike today, but on a small creek which I highly doubt holds musky.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-26-2011, 07:47 PM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road

I know the Musky Guides in Northern Wisconsin prefer to use the 10WT rods. You can hook into some really big fish. Whatever rod you end up with, make sure it has a lifetime warranty.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:16 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Good info here.

Ever since i first started picking up and looking at my old mans Field and Stream and Outdoor life mags i have wanted to catch a Musky. So, about 30 some odd years now. lol

One of these years i will get there. In the mean time i just ordered Zero 2 Hero the other day and am eagerly awaiting its arrival...