The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 09:14 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Hybrid Striped Bass Gear

Hi folks, I was recently told by the park manager were I fish that the tailwater section of the creek( dumps into the ohio river) is yielding good hybrid Stripe bass activity, My question is what size rig would I need for such beasts? I have a 6wt set up now, and I have an 8 wt rod Yet to outfit. This area is also reported to have sauger. . I plan to use poppers to avoid under water structure snags, but that may change.. any suggestions would be great.

this could be fun
Mike
Old 08-18-2011, 10:18 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: Hybrid Striped Bass Gear

6 for the saugers. 8 for the hybrids. try tying weedless clousers. poppers work also.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:21 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i fish for largemouth with my 7 weight and it feels fine so id say trial and error if you can bring them in on a 6 weight its gonna be alot more fun than on an 8 weight.
Also with the snags tie some streamers on some circle hooks you will have a hard time snagging up also the bendback shad is a great fly for this stuff
Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

thanks, I have put the 6wt reel and lineset on the 8wt rod it casts good enough, not sure how it will like the heavier flies but I dont have much for bigger flys yet. would it be a good idea to use a 1 or 0x leader? A lil extra to help me novice line handling. ff for 2 months now and I have yet to get hook on to something big enough to warrent getting it on the reel. Watching youtube vids now this should be fun!
mike
Old 08-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
thanks, I have put the 6wt reel and lineset on the 8wt rod it casts good enough, not sure how it will like the heavier flies but I dont have much for bigger flys yet. would it be a good idea to use a 1 or 0x leader? A lil extra to help me novice line handling. ff for 2 months now and I have yet to get hook on to something big enough to warrent getting it on the reel. Watching youtube vids now this should be fun!
mike
Yes using a short heavy leader would be a good idea for throwing heavily weighted flies like clousers and large wind resistant flies like poppers and large streamers.

You could get tapered mono store bought leaders-- these are usually labelled as either "8 foot, 10 or 12lb bass leaders" or a 7 1/2 ' long 0X or 1X leader.

The other option is to make your own with regular 10, 12 or 15lb test mono --- you could probably get away with just a short straight untapered section 4-6 feet long of mono, or you if you wanted a longer leader, add a 4' section of 30 or 40lb mono as a butt, 2' of 20lb and 2' of tippet 10, 12 or 15lb - To get the short sections of heavier mono you need for the butt and mid section, you could use regular mono from a tackle shop that spools spinning and baitcasting reels and just buy a couple yards of each rather than buying 100yd spools if you don't have a fly shop that stocks spools of heavier mono for making leaders from scratch.

And of course if you do buy a store bought tapered leader to start, as you change flies and cut it back, you can replace the front "tippet" section with short 2' sections of plain old 10, 12 or 15lb mono, and preserve the heavier butt and mid section of the store bought tapered leader.

Good luck i hope you tie into one of those hybrids--- that should get you on the reel.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:04 PM

Thanks Mark, I am due an order for leaders, i have a few leaders 0 and 1x size that have been cut back but are still long enough to use, Im not sure when Ill have a chance to get that far up the creek to where the hybrids are but when I do I hope Im ready. I am going go back out for bass tomarrow atleast try to get one on the reel that can pull drag to get soem practice.
Mike
Old 08-21-2011, 10:06 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Hey Mike, I'm up in Louisville staying with my fiancee at the moment (you're in E-town, right) and I fish the Falls of the Ohio whenever I'm here as it is the most accessible for me. When the water level is a little higher than it is now I usually catch loads of striper hybrids (right now I'm catching drum and sauger like they're on clearance). If you don't mind me asking, where are you fishing at?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-21-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Hey Mike, I'm up in Louisville staying with my fiancee at the moment (you're in E-town, right) and I fish the Falls of the Ohio whenever I'm here as it is the most accessible for me. When the water level is a little higher than it is now I usually catch loads of striper hybrids (right now I'm catching drum and sauger like they're on clearance). If you don't mind me asking, where are you fishing at?
otter creek outdoor rec area, formerly otter creek park. ill send you a pm