The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 02:33 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default sliders vs. divers

i fish both flies the same way. a strip taking the fly underwater, followed by another strip once the fly surfaces.
is my technique for each fly correct? large mouth bass would care to know as would i

casey

ARFE
Old 08-19-2011, 06:51 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: sliders vs. divers

Your sliders must be different from mine which all have either bead or lead eyes and do not float. Dalberg divers I use for bass and fish much the same as poppers.

The only sliders I fish are the "Borski" sliders for bonefish which I inch across the bottom in calm watrer, or if there is a current running, drift to feeding fish like an atlantc salmon fly, then play it by ear depending on their reaction.

I try to make it as easy as possible for the fish to eat without expending energy unless they are busting baitfish.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-19-2011, 07:19 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A sneaky pete type slider is best when top-water fishing is appropriate but a popper would send the fish into cover. Rather than fish mine like a diver, I'll slowly draw it through the "salad", trying to make only the slightest disturbance.

A pencil popper type slider is best fished in current. Cast across to 3/4 down and then manipulated via mending to "slide" through the current, drawing attention with it's wake.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 AM

smalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura about

I fish Sneakey Pete's all the time this time of year, with the water low they are my go to. I rarely pull them completely under water. More just a twitch or "slide" as it drifts. I'm fishing streams though, so your mileage may vary.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:48 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Rip Tide beat me to what I was going to say.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:29 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

I love fishing a deer hair slider on a heavy sinking line. Let the line sink enough that it will pull down the fly, then keep a constant retrieve on the fly to keep it about a foot under the surface. Bass hammer it.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:05 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

There's really no "correct" or "incorrect" to it. The bass will let you know if what you're doing is what they want. Try different things. Slow strips, faster strips, short strips, longer strips, cast out & let it sit until you can't stand it any longer, then strip it. Vary what you're doing until you find something they respond to & keep repeating it until they change their minds, then do something different again.

I've had instances where I had to cast many times to the spot to get a strike, so don't count out repeated casts. Sometimes they're not in an eating mood, so you just got to annoy them enough to get a strike!

I've found it helpful to imagine what a dying bait fish, or some other struggling prey would look like on the water & make your offering act that way. Doesn't always work, but many times it will!

Also, don't get frustrated, you will eventually find the right combination!