The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 08:12 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: furled leader

SC makes a heck of a good (series) comment. I think the 'application' may have a good deal to do with what materials you'd use.

Just (well a couple of days ago) with Joni and she gave me a series of choices of material, including Kevlar thread!

Like I know 'shxt from shinola' about this: "You know I'm going to use them on 5-7 wt spey rods so use your best judgment."

Only "viable input" I could give was the length I'd like and the line weight of the rods. Old Sr. Management stuff: When working with folks that really do know their job make your (never orders) wishes known in as few words as possible and get the hell out of the way.
Fred

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

WHOOOA!

Just typed the above and a PM telling me the leaders are on the way .... AND a 'let me know what you think about this one, a super sized demo.'

I'm Jazzed!
Fred
Old 10-08-2011, 08:28 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: furled leader

Thanks Fred. They actually have many benefits that I don't take advantage of. I tend to be a bull in a china shop. I rarely use the finesse features of a furled leader. I use them because they turn over well in the wind and I don't have to tie knots on the water. I only have to carry one spool of leader material and a simple loop to loop gets me back in the water with a fresh tippet. One day I hope to build enough patience to be a good trout fisherman but right now those pesky trout frustrate the life out of me.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:32 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Next time you buy some get the small tippet ring put on the end. Makes changing out tippets a total treat; no bulk, just a sweet follow through from one to the other.
Fred

Last edited by fredaevans; 10-08-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Correct a word
Old 10-08-2011, 10:17 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Next time you buy some get the small tippet ring put on the end. Makes changing out tippets a total treat; no bulk, just a sweet follow through from one to the other.
Fred
freds right on here,
the tippet ring, instead of the shorb loop is the way to go imo. smaller diameter and easier to attach your tippet to

casey

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

almost forgot to mention that JONI'S FURLED LEADERS ROCK!

ARFE
Old 10-09-2011, 06:50 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I like the furled leader because it lasts and has a tippet ring. No coil memory either. My biggest problem is the mess I've got when when it pulls loose from a fish or setting the hook on a false strike. It all comes flying back into a big birds nest. Thats not the leaders fault though. I've only destroyed one furled leader from that.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
I like the furled leader because it lasts and has a tippet ring. No coil memory either. My biggest problem is the mess I've got when when it pulls loose from a fish or setting the hook on a false strike. It all comes flying back into a big birds nest. Thats not the leaders fault though. I've only destroyed one furled leader from that.
Was this a thread or a mono leader? I know mono is notorious for this as it does stretch. Thread is far more forgiving......I think.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:17 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Was this a thread or a mono leader? I know mono is notorious for this as it does stretch. Thread is far more forgiving......I think.
It was a thread. My fault completely as I have learned as soon as it happens do not make any casting motion, just wind it in to unravel or walk to it if possible. Trying to flip the line back to myself tightens any mess. Lesson learned. My latest cutthroat leader is still on my line.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much guys. Glad you like them. I have been using Kevlar on my sinking/big fish like steelhead or Salmon leaders for about 10 years now. It does add a little texture to the leader, but, you can't cut the stiff with scissors let alone break off. BUT, it sinks beautifully like lead, yet still flexible. I do have a secret formula for the sinking leaders though, just like my secret mono...LOL
Old 11-06-2011, 05:44 PM

buttonwoodbob is on a distinguished road

Folks, I've been furling leaders and giving them away like Johnny Appleseed for about 15 years. Though I'm an advocate, I use them for rod weights 7 and higher. I fish saltwater 95% of the time. I don't recommend buying them, but I do recommend making them yourself. Like fly tying, and rod making, it makes fishing even more personal. Rather than elaborate here what I think makes furled leaders better than knotted leaders, I'll refer you to an article I wrote...that been around a while, but is often quoted and still brings questions and reactions from folks who read it. A Case for the Furled Leader | MidCurrent
Nota bene: Sometimes the terms furled leaders and twisted leaders are used innerchangeable. They are different and are made by a different process.
The latter are not smoothly tapered and usually involve only a single abrupt step down, though they are easy to make, and involve only one knot. I try not to over hype furled leaders in the above article. Take a look.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:49 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonwoodbob View Post
Folks, I've been furling leaders and giving them away like Johnny Appleseed for about 15 years. Though I'm an advocate, I use them for rod weights 7 and higher. I fish saltwater 95% of the time. I don't recommend buying them, but I do recommend making them yourself. Like fly tying, and rod making, it makes fishing even more personal. Rather than elaborate here what I think makes furled leaders better than knotted leaders, I'll refer you to an article I wrote...that been around a while, but is often quoted and still brings questions and reactions from folks who read it. A Case for the Furled Leader | MidCurrent
Nota bene: Sometimes the terms furled leaders and twisted leaders are used innerchangeable. They are different and are made by a different process.
The latter are not smoothly tapered and usually involve only a single abrupt step down, though they are easy to make, and involve only one knot. I try not to over hype furled leaders in the above article. Take a look.
Hi BWB
I book marked your article as I want to read it. I am interested in learning how to make a proper furled leader, just never seen it done.
thanks for posting that link.