The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2007, 11:28 PM

lryansl is on a distinguished road
Default Hello All, new to the Forum with Questions

I purchased some climax fluorocarbon tippet about a month ago and have used it three times and noticed that after about half a day of fishing my tippet starts to fray is this normal? It was my understanding fluorocarbon was supposed to resist this. Ive started fishing a lot now for carp and so far have caught 4 and I'm Hooked on it. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hello All, new to the Forum with Questions

Welcome to the group!

On your fraying question, I'm assuming u mean that it gets roughed up or abraded near where its tied on to the fly. This is caused by repeated scraping on rocks or coral or fishes teeth. Fluorocarbon is indeed tougher than regular monofilament, but those abrasive surfaces are going to win the fight with non-metallic fishing lines every time.

If you mean its fraying like a rope that's fluffing out at the end like one seen flopping behind a moving pickup, then that's something else altogether. Give up on that spool and try another. Its just a bad spool, not something that's common for fluorocarbon tippet.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:29 AM

lryansl is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the warm welcome and speedy reply. I think your right about it being a bad batch or something maybe bad brand, heres a link to a picture i scanned of the tippet shows what its doing http://users.adelphia.net/~mstatig/flyline.jpg Thanks again.

I wonder if i could send it back to cabelas and they would give me another one even thought Ive used about 5 feet of it or maybe 10 feet.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:48 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hello All, new to the Forum with Questions

I would contact Cabelas. It is my understanding they are very good at taking care of customer problems. From what I can see in the picture there is a problem with the entire spool.