The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 04:54 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Question Carp Strategies

So lately I've been using the ol' golden bones as moving target practice for my novice casting skills. However, I have yet to hook one, though I have not been fishing for them long. While I certainly have a vested interest here, I thought it would be nice to start up a thread where people can contribute carp-catching strategies, as I'm sure that I am not the only one who chucks flies at them. I have found both webpages and youtube videos to try and learn, and have been trying to emulate what they show, but I would love to hear the strategies of my fellow NAFFFers.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-18-2011, 06:19 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Carp Strategies

i use a small white popper and cast it 3-5 feet in front of them when they are cruising and they bite that. if you are fishign for them on "flats" id recommend usijng a deceiver carp fly and cast it in front of them like 8 feet and when they get close twitch it and itll create a ploom of dust and the carp like that
Old 09-18-2011, 07:48 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

What size small are we talking? Like a panfish popper? And as far as the deceiver carp fly, is this just a variation of a lefty's deceiver in a particular color variation? I need all the help I can get

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-18-2011, 08:31 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

the oh woops sorry its a backstabber carp fly and id say size 8 a sizee 8 or 6 woly bugger will work too and yes a panfish sized all white popper bass pro sells a carp fly box
Old 09-18-2011, 08:54 PM

Thanks! I'll have to check these out. What I learned tonight is it is a WHOLE lot easier to target carp when the sun is high over the water, it makes them a lot easier to see cruising the flats. In the backstabber pattern, white colors as well, or dark colors, like to match crayfish?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:16 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

They feed in two different ways. If they are tailing they are eating bottom critters like crayfish etc. They also eat cotton seeds, mulberries, grass on the surface. depending on what's growing and falling into your particular water you may be able to copy what they're eating.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
They feed in two different ways. If they are tailing they are eating bottom critters like crayfish etc. They also eat cotton seeds, mulberries, grass on the surface. depending on what's growing and falling into your particular water you may be able to copy what they're eating.
That's a good advice...My friend and I sometimes catch carp on nymph(chub special) on sight...
Old 09-19-2011, 12:53 PM

Today on my lunch break they were eating #6 olive wooly buggers with some flash and a gold beadhead. Good fish to break in the new rod! Cast in front of the thing and gave it a small strip and fish on! The nice thing I've seen with carp so far just watching them is they are content to eat when the sun is high in the sky and giving the angler perfect sighting conditions. Today its a little overcast here and there's certainly a storm coming in, but I could see the fish cruising so I just put a cast in front of the fish, let it sit, then gave it a bump. I hope this ends up a repeat occurrence and not a fluke!

Last edited by gatortransplant; 09-19-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:50 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Today on my lunch break they were eating #6 olive wooly buggers with some flash and a gold beadhead. Good fish to break in the new rod! Cast in front of the thing and gave it a small strip and fish on! The nice thing I've seen with carp so far just watching them is they are content to eat when the sun is high in the sky and giving the angler perfect sighting conditions. Today its a little overcast here and there's certainly a storm coming in, but I could see the fish cruising so I just put a cast in front of the fish, let it sit, then gave it a bump. I hope this ends up a repeat occurrence and not a fluke!
They are very quirky fish. You might not catch any on your next 2 trips and think it was a fluke but thats just the way they are. They don't fight like a Bass but they sure like to run to the opposite side of the pond when you hook them! Sunglasses with amber lenses will also help you spot them.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:05 PM

I wanted to go out after them again tonight, but its rather rainy and the dog has been home alone all day... maybe tomorrow!

And yeah, when the carp was first hooked it made a few nice runs and it had fight in it all the way until I landed it. It had no trouble darting away once I unhooked it either, though it probably helped that I have been de-barbing my hooks since I started using flies (I seated a nicely barbed fly in my arm trying to cast in the wind on my first day with the new set-up). No pun intended, but I'm definitely hooked. As far as amber lenses, I have been using some very inexpensive black/grey polarized lenses lately, but I am planning on getting a good pair of polarized lenses soon. I've been shopping Smiths with the polarchromic copper lenses in particular.