The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 01:33 PM

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bluegill and Crappie

Although I generally fly fish for trout, I do enjoy a day of Bluegill and Crappie fishing. I usually use a ultralight spinning outfit for these fish. However, I thought I would try my fly rod this year. Have read that these are great fighters on fly gear. What about using a wooly bugger with a small willow leaf spinner tied just above the fly? Could use any other setups that you would like to suggest. Keep it simple as I have restricted use of my fingers.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:44 PM

troutbum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bluegill and Crappie

Bluegill and crappie are indeed great fun on the fly!I have had great luck with wolly buggers,egg sucking leeches,and a assortment of nymphs.
When they are nesting both bluegill and crappy are pretty vicious in their attempts to keep the reed safe from anything that moves,to prove this to my brother while out fishing one day,I tied on a bare hook and ran it close to them,I caught many useing nothing but a hook!
P.S
wolly worms and san juan worms are also great for these fisty little critters.
tight lines
Aaron
Old 04-08-2007, 09:47 AM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

I flyfish for BLuegills about 3 times a week from mid March through July, then I taper off a bit. Without a doubt, the best fly for the lake I fish is a size 10 Olive Bead Head Woolly Bugger with two strand of flash in the tail. I've also caught 14 inch Largemouth and Smallmouth bass on the same fly. Cast it out, let it sit a minute, then slowly twitch it. Sometimes they like it moving faster, but usually they suck it in when it's idle.

Be versitile. Some lakes they prefer small nymphs. If you have clear water and can see the beds, then use a size 10 or 12 rubber legged spider, ant, or tiny popper.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 04-08-2007, 04:10 PM

makubwa is on a distinguished road

Interesting fish, the first one crappie? looks like something we get in Zimbabwe - tilapia

Image here:
Our Fishing Photos
Old 04-08-2007, 10:19 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

That fish would be a good old Bluegill.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:23 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makubwa View Post
Interesting fish, the first one crappie? looks like something we get in Zimbabwe - tilapia

Image here:
Our Fishing Photos
Yes, bluegills and bass are fun, but YOU've got some VERY interesting fish in your photo! Between the tilapia, the 8 lb Brown Trout, and the striper in your photos, you've got it all over me!

But back to Bluegills, they have saved many a fishing trip for me. We usually start out the day concentrating on bass or other "glamor" fish, but if they aren't biting, we fall back on the Bluegill. They're eager biters, taste fantastic, and you can catch a fish practically every cast when they're really on.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 04-10-2007, 09:00 AM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

The good old bluegill. I love them. They're lots of fun on light fly rods and there's something about them that brings you back to your childhood days. What was the first fish that you ever caught? Mine was a bluegill. You can find them almost anywhere and catch them on almost anything. What could be better? Wooly Buggers are good but I've also had good luck with small poppers which is a lot of fun.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Cowboy, I agree with Jakeway:
Quote:
the best fly for the lake I fish is a size 10 Olive Bead Head Woolly Bugger with two strand of flash in the tail.
Other than making some customizations to that fly, I can't think of anything more productive for bass and sunfish/bluegill. I've used flies like that profusely in rivers as well and had great success. One alteration is, if the stream/lake bed where you're fishing is of lighter color, you may do better with grey or tan flies. (This was true for me in the limestone bottomed streams of the TX Hill Country) This is a great one Mad River Outfitters

Small hoppers can work quite well for sunfish and bass also, but you'll want to use foam patterns that float well, because after the 20th bluegill hits it, a Henry's Fork or Daves Hopper won't float very well. Smaller Chernobyl Ants can work very well also.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:27 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Don't hesitate to go after those "little fighters" on a
fly rod. I have an 8'6" 3wt that is strictly for that
purpose. I personally have never used a woolly bugger
for panfish. I have some extremely good smaller "nymph"
flies that never fail to produce a boat load. I put a maggot
on with the fly & hold on, it's awesome fun especially if you
get into the big "bulls".

Best of Luck,

Tie One On
Old 04-10-2007, 10:32 AM

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the input. My only real experience fishing for bluegills was on the Edisto River in South Carolina. Most of that was done with cane rods with about 10 ft. of mono, a #6 hook, bobber and a catawba worm. Did some ultralight, but more cane pole. Caught hunderds over the years. Now I am in Iowa with a lot of great ponds and lakes. Eager to try your suggestions.

Thanks,

Cowboy