The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 02:23 PM

doanehead is on a distinguished road
Default monofilament as a leader material

Slowly gathering up the stuff I'll need to get back to flyfishing some this spring and summer....when the fellow at the sporting goods store made a comment that I could simply use monofilament instead of tapered leaders, obviously sensing from our conversation that I'm not a hardcore flyfisherman. I certainly don't want to offend the purists here but wonder if any of y'all forgo leaders and use mono ??.........
Old 04-07-2007, 10:22 PM

troutbum20 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: monofilament as a leader material

you still need a tapered leader for most types of fly fishing. there is something i do called czech nymphing which is simple but very effective and you can use straight mono or a leader that starts at 8lb test and ends with 3 to 4 feet of 4lb test. for everything else you will end up with a pile at the end of your fly line if it is not tapered especially with a little wind in your face.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:34 AM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

As a kid we used to fly fish for bluegills using level 7 weight fly line and a 6 foot length of 4 lb mono. Usually the rubber spider ended up within 6 inches of the end of the fly line. Buy a tapered leader and you'll be happy. If you really must, then make a tapered leader out of mono you already have. There are many "recipes" for leaders around, but even if you only make it a two-step leader (5 ft of 15-20 lb mono tied to 4 ft of 6 lb mono) it's better than just 6 lb. Most knotted leaders have 4 to 6 reductions of line diameter, depending on the length of leader and size of ending tippet.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 04-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

A knotted leader is not as good a choice for Bass, Pan fish. Most of this fishing is in water with moss or other growth on the surface. The knots will pick up this stuff and can be a pain in the neck. For me, a standard level leader or a tapered leader, with no knots, works best.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Franks advice is dead on! (and actually applied to inshore saltwater fishing as well) Some go to tying their own leaders from monofilament to save money after they toss 5 complete leaders they have paid $4 each for.

This reaction is understandable, but shouldn't come up. Grab a 3x knotless tapered leader and a spool of 3x tippet. ($4 each) After you fish some and change out flies a few times, your leader will be shorter. Once your leader is more than 2' shorter than it was originally, tie on 2.5' of tippet with a double surgeons knot. This will allow your $8 to last about 20 times longer than if you scrapped a whole leader each time you used up all of the tippet portion. (skinny part)

Tying one's own leaders is still the cheapest overall solution, but I just wanted point out an option with a cost in between the "roll-yer-own" and the "scrap the whole leader" approaches.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:38 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

I can tell you that I am one of those who are not
always a "purist" to using tapered leaders.

If I'm going out after smallmouth, or bluegills I do
not build tapered leaders at all. I have a perfection
loop connection ( loop to loop ) of 15 lb Maxima
off the end of the fly line & then about 2'. From there
I tie on 8-10# Vanish for Smallies & 6# for bluegill. I
usually use a Surgeon knot.

I do taper down for trout though. As in many things in
this sport, it's totally your call.

Tie One On
Old 04-10-2007, 10:16 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

How long is the Maxima? Sounds like what I use on my sink tip streamer line: 2 ft of 20 lb Stren, 2 ft of 8 lb Vanish. No other tippet.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system