The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 10:56 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default mono backing

why dont fishermen use monofilament line for backing?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:20 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mono backing

Mono stretches with tension.

When wound on the spool after fighting a fish, it compresses and cracks the spool. I've thrown away spinning reel spools that have been crushed when put away after a catching a big fish. Always release then tension after a big fish fight on mono.

Backing must be nonstretch like dacron or gelspun.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 AM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road

Learn something new every day. That was a great explanation. I honestly had never thought of it. But I've also never fought a big fish that stretched the mono.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Taking what Silver has told you into account as good info I'll add one more word regarding why not.............

Memory

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-29-2011, 12:44 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Taking what Silver has told you into account as good info I'll add one more word regarding why not.............

Memory

LOL,

The memory is good reply for two reasons. If you are an old fart like me, you could forget to release mono tension.

I should state that one of the spools that broke had on 6 lb. test line. You would think that 6 lb. test would only apply 6 lbs. of compression but not so. It all adds up and I found myself with a cracked plastic spool on a Mitchell reel I used before becoming a fly fisher.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-29-2011, 01:41 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Conversely,

Gelspun should be wound on very, very tight. If not, when fighting big fish, it will slide down through the line beneath it, and may well snap on the next run.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Mono stretches with tension.

When wound on the spool after fighting a fish, it compresses and cracks the spool. I've thrown away spinning reel spools that have been crushed when put away after a catching a big fish. Always release then tension after a big fish fight on mono.

Backing must be nonstretch like dacron or gelspun.
I've never had that happen and I have caught some really big fish on spinning gear. I had a 70"+ Lake Sturgeon do grey hound jumps pulling my boat up river and smoke the drag, but the spool was fine. That was on an old mitchel auto bail. Are these cheap reels it happened on? By the way it wrecked the mono. Even with heavier line I have not had that happen. I used to do a lot of salt water fishing and had some serious afterburner runs and they didn't crack the spools either. I used Penn reels back then though.

Last edited by Guest1; 10-09-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-29-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I've never had that happen and I have caught some really big fish on spinning gear. I had a 70"+ Lake Stureon do grey hound jumps pulling my boat up river and smoke the drag, but the spool was fine. That was on an old mitchel auto bail. Are these cheap reels it happened on? By the way it wrecked the mono. Even with heavier line I have not had that happen. I used to do a lot of salt water fishing and had some serious afterburner runs and they didn't crack the spools either. I used Penn reels back then though.
It was the original Abu (of Sweden) 54 reel from the 1970s, a well known maker of quality gear. It was an expensive reel in its time. It was also sold under the Garcia name. Here is a Abu Garcia 57 with the history of the reels.

Abu garcia cardinal 57

Cortland - Monofilament

"5. Stretch: All monofilament line stretches, and some stretch up to 30% when really stressed. Some stretch is very desirable because it improves shock strength - but too much makes it difficult to set the hook or control the fish. Worse, lines that are overly stretchy will probably not recover after being stretched to the max, which results in a serious deterioration of line strength. All Cortland lines are formulated to deliver "controlled stretch" to provide just enough cushion for shock resistance and strength without being too stretchy."

It seems some mono does not return to the original length.

Silver

Old 09-29-2011, 03:49 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Mason hard, which was very popular a long time ago, would continue to stretch and require a lot of permanent deformation before breaking. But it's strength would continue going down the entire time it was stretching.

Guys going for tarpon records using 100 lb test mason hard shockers, would make sure it was no longer knot to knot than 11 1/2". This was for 16 lb class tippet.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

dan i saw a pciture of you on here with a sturgeon did you catch that on fly tackle?