The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 11:10 PM

flymark is on a distinguished road
Default First Carp on the Fly!

I hit up a local pond for some casting practice with my new fly rods today. After I was done, I decided to actually fish a bit, vs. just throwing a fly out into the water.

Hiking down to the west end of this little pond, near the dam, I wanted to stalk some carp. That's the section I usually fish for them when I bait fish. Usually the water is too nasty to sight fish much past early May. Today wasn't any different. I managed to spook some bruisers who were holding in the lilly pad field right up against the western bank (it's a large, shallow flat covered in lilly pads, and there were fish right up against the bank). I *was* trying to stalk these fish, and dap to them. It seems I left my ninja-skills at home today, as I spooked every one of these fish. I headed back down to the southwest corner, where there's a large opening between the pad field and the bank, where it is only maybe 12-18 inches deep.

The water was really off color as usual, hard to see into. Then some fresh mud plumes caught my eye, and I was able to make out a dark shape against the bottom. HAD to be a carp. I fired my little olive woolly worm out and let it sink.

I missed two strikes on the same cast, almost - but not quite - spooking the fish. I fired a cast over against the edge of the pads, as I'd seen some of them shaking from fish moving through them. I let the fly sink for a little, and then started my retrieve. Almost immediately, there was weight on the line. I set the hook - and was almost half surprised I hadn't hooked into the root of one of the pads. The fish exploded and jumped, then tried making a dash into the pads.

It was all I could do *not* to let him get in there, and this was with a 10' Echo Ion 8 weight. I began cranking like a maniac, trying to get the line on the reel so the fish could fight the drag. A young man fishing near by came over to watch the fight.

Then I made what was to be a karmic mistake - I asked the youngster to get a picture of me and my catch with my phone's camera, as I've been trying for years to get a carp to eat a fly, and I wanted photo proof of my first catch. I brought the fish in and grabbed my leader, as it was only a 2 or 3 lb fish (I've caught way bigger from this pond, but all on spinning rods with bread balls). I hoisted the fish out of the water, and as I went to grab for him, he wiggled and popped free from the barbless hook. He landed right at the water's edge. I dashed for him, hoping to grab him before he could get his bearings. He was faster - and with a "screw you" splash, he shot off into the lily pads.

What a rush though - this is turning out to be a darn good season for me. Today, I catch my first fly caught carp. Last week I caught my first fly caught steelhead (and the first steelhead landed for me in about a decade.) on my 4 weight switch rod while trout fishing.

I hope the season continues with this good trend.

I can't wait to do battle again with some carp. I might have to try some cold water carping this winter if I get too pent up with cabin fever. I am anxiously awaiting spring now though! Bring back the warm weather!
Old 10-01-2011, 11:18 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First Carp on the Fly!

awsome, I have a pond I fish once in awhile when I dont want to wade, this pond has some huge grass carp I hope to someday hook on a fly.
mike
Old 10-02-2011, 12:51 AM

flyfishingjack is on a distinguished road

Few lakes with carp by me. What color wooly were you using if you don't mind me asking.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like more and more members become carp fans
Old 10-02-2011, 11:59 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Nice mark!

Carp on the Fly
Old 10-02-2011, 01:56 PM

flymark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishingjack View Post
Few lakes with carp by me. What color wooly were you using if you don't mind me asking.
I was tossing a tag-less olive rabbit fur bodied woolly, with an olive-grizzley hackle and a gold bead. I like spinning rabbit fur into a dubbing loop and using it more than I like standard chenille, because you get a buggier appearance.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:21 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Good report but I've got to say: My name is Chuck S, I'm a Carpaholic!!!!!!!

Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 10-09-2011, 10:45 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Great stuff Mark! I I know your pain, and the first carp I caught was around the same size and on an olive bugger as well. When I pulled my phone out to snag a pic, it told me the camera was not working. This has never happened before and never since! But I'm AJ and I'm also a carpaholic

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...