The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 02:17 AM

thechief is on a distinguished road
Default frustrating day..

my first day on the water with the fly rob wasnt what i hopped for i wanted to at least catch some bluegills so i can have something under my belt but i couldnt even catch them my dad was catching the blues with a bit of worm and catching them like crazy i was using a wooly worm most the time and a few other dry flys that didnt stay dry for to long and didnt get a single thing my cast was pretty good i think i dont know what i could of been doing wrong im not giving up tho im going to go out and target them again any sugesstions as to what to use? how to use them? i can use alot of help haha i also bought some foam beatles that looked like spiders as i was told spiders would work well but my leader was to thick to put it on (cheap leader that came with set up) i am going to get a thinner leader and try those next time but what else should i get to try? thanks alot for the help! -Talmadge
Old 10-23-2011, 08:44 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: frustrating day..

Hey Chief,

I'm not sure how to answer this with out sounding condescending or disparaging, but here it goes. (the following is not meant to suggest that you are bad at fly fishing-- actually just the opposite-- just some offerings on what might be at work behind the scenes. This is a different game than dunking worms, or throwing power bait.

Firstly, I doubt that your dad was pulling them in by the dozens and you didn't get a single hit. I suspect what happened is that you maybe missed a few (or even many)---
This is likely due to a fly that is too big (ie-- they couldn't even really get the bug into their mouths-- what size was the wooly worm?) There is a fine line with bluegill fly sizes-- too small and they will inhale and likely be killed every time, and too big will get hits, but no hook ups. I have had 'gills actually smack at a size 2/0 bass slider-- they WILL hit BIG bugs.

What was the water like? Structure and cover in the water? did you feel any kind of resistance on the fly and possibly mistook it for a snag or drag through some weeds? Sometimes they hit subtly, sometimes voraciously. Sounds like they might have been a little gentler this day. Easy to miss them. I have watched a gill take my fly in crystal clear water and missed him... They can be VERY subtle.

As for suggestions:

Try the foam bugs that you have. The rubber legs will incite some strikes, and they will float so that you can see the take. As for the leader and the thickness-- just tie a double surgeons knot into the one you have, and use a length of 4# mono to connect to your leader (as 'tippet').

Other flies you could try are really anything with rubber legs (girdle bugs, rubber leg buggers, hopper patterns, spiders), some smaller poppers (size 6 or 8-- don't go much smaller than sz. 8 if you don't want to kill a bunch of fish.), you might do very well with some nymph patterns-- toss em out and (in still water) make the slowest retrieve you possibly can.

Hope this helps-- stick with it-- you will get fish before you know it. Just pay attention to what you are doing, and when you get the fish, you'll know how to do it again.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
Hey Chief,

I'm not sure how to answer this with out sounding condescending or disparaging, but here it goes. (the following is not meant to suggest that you are bad at fly fishing-- actually just the opposite-- just some offerings on what might be at work behind the scenes. This is a different game than dunking worms, or throwing power bait.

Firstly, I doubt that your dad was pulling them in by the dozens and you didn't get a single hit. I suspect what happened is that you maybe missed a few (or even many)---
This is likely due to a fly that is too big (ie-- they couldn't even really get the bug into their mouths-- what size was the wooly worm?) There is a fine line with bluegill fly sizes-- too small and they will inhale and likely be killed every time, and too big will get hits, but no hook ups. I have had 'gills actually smack at a size 2/0 bass slider-- they WILL hit BIG bugs.

What was the water like? Structure and cover in the water? did you feel any kind of resistance on the fly and possibly mistook it for a snag or drag through some weeds? Sometimes they hit subtly, sometimes voraciously. Sounds like they might have been a little gentler this day. Easy to miss them. I have watched a gill take my fly in crystal clear water and missed him... They can be VERY subtle.

As for suggestions:

Try the foam bugs that you have. The rubber legs will incite some strikes, and they will float so that you can see the take. As for the leader and the thickness-- just tie a double surgeons knot into the one you have, and use a length of 4# mono to connect to your leader (as 'tippet').

Other flies you could try are really anything with rubber legs (girdle bugs, rubber leg buggers, hopper patterns, spiders), some smaller poppers (size 6 or 8-- don't go much smaller than sz. 8 if you don't want to kill a bunch of fish.), you might do very well with some nymph patterns-- toss em out and (in still water) make the slowest retrieve you possibly can.

Hope this helps-- stick with it-- you will get fish before you know it. Just pay attention to what you are doing, and when you get the fish, you'll know how to do it again.
yeah well im not sure on the size i have another thread with pictures of all the flies i was using if you want to check that out i used pretty much all those ones and yeah i felt resistance a few times it might have been a fish but i dont know there was alot of trees and bushes in the water next time i go ill take pictures and yeah i dont think i really know how to set the hook when fly fishing im used to bass fishing and saltwater fishing so can you elaborate on that? ill give a few more things a try and report back and hopefully that time i will have something to show for it how do you retrive wooly worms and the top water beatles/ spiders
Old 10-23-2011, 11:53 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Hang in their theCheif "one does not fly into flight" next time your out with dad strip some mono off his reel and make a "tippet" of sorts. Your going to want to use flies with a hook size from #8 down to #12 for blue gill and such. To set the hook just raise the rod tip a bit, sharp and fast, imagine a bass strike cut in half, even less. For the retrive on a wooly worm I like a long steady pull, once the fly lands give it a bit of time to sink then as I strip a long pull I kind of push the rod forward at the same time so when I'm ready to take another strip the rod hand comes back keeping the fly moving ( I hope that makes sense) for the spiders and foam bugs its just like top water bass plugs cast wait for the rings to disappear and just give it little twitches if the water is calm, if theres a bit of chop give it a good tug to move some water around. I would look up a fly called the green weenie and stock up on those in a size #12 they're deadly on the gills around here and 9 out of 10 time you wont have to set the hook they do it themselves. Keep at it and have fun.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Hang in their theCheif "one does not fly into flight" next time your out with dad strip some mono off his reel and make a "tippet" of sorts. Your going to want to use flies with a hook size from #8 down to #12 for blue gill and such. To set the hook just raise the rod tip a bit, sharp and fast, imagine a bass strike cut in half, even less. For the retrive on a wooly worm I like a long steady pull, once the fly lands give it a bit of time to sink then as I strip a long pull I kind of push the rod forward at the same time so when I'm ready to take another strip the rod hand comes back keeping the fly moving ( I hope that makes sense) for the spiders and foam bugs its just like top water bass plugs cast wait for the rings to disappear and just give it little twitches if the water is calm, if theres a bit of chop give it a good tug to move some water around. I would look up a fly called the green weenie and stock up on those in a size #12 they're deadly on the gills around here and 9 out of 10 time you wont have to set the hook they do it themselves. Keep at it and have fun.
thanks you very much for the great info! helped out a lot ill post next time another report and let everyone know how i do last time we were only there for like an hour so ill stock up on a few more flys and try and find some green weenies and hopefully get some results! thanks a lot! and yeah i think with the resictance i was feeling and setting the hook i was setting it too hard because the fly would come out of the water reallly really fast and usually get caught up in a tree haha so ill use this info on my next outing anyone out there live in the southern california area? just curious to see how many i never see anyone fly fishing at my local lakes i feel like an outcast haha
Old 10-24-2011, 03:10 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

I was out Saturday morning and saw a small bass tearing up some top water insects. I tried throwing everthing I could at him, small poppers, beetles, ants, even some Elk Hair Caddis. He wanted nothing of what I was offering him. Some days are just like that I guess.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:25 PM

gjamison is on a distinguished road

keep at it