The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 10:12 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default bass,bluegill question...

I went to fish in the river today with a worm and bobber. caught 6 bluegills and a small rock bass right up on shore by the rocks. but there were fish jumping like crazy!!! I am new to fly fishing and wondered if i took my fly rod there and used a bee pattern popper or a beetle or grasshopper or some kind of fly that floats if they will hit it? It would be my 1st fish on a fly. guess i should try it tommorow? wondered what would work best? they were jumping everywhere! I got a grasshopper, a cricket, a hi vis beetle, a damselfly ,2 bee pattern poppers, a white popper with yellow/black tail, a white/grey clouser and a ant with red back. also have nymphs what would be the best to try? I wanna get my 1st catch on a fly rod! i don't know what fish they were. some were huge some were small? maybe crappie bluegills or bass? some steelies and big stuff out there also

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:09 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: bass,bluegill question...

I read small poppers r good and wooly buggers. also terrestrials. just wondered what u guys think will work when they r jumping like this? prolly anything with rubber legs huh? i got these small bluegill bee pattern poppers that have some fishing line glued to them like a weed guard? will bluegill be able to get a good bite on that or should i cut that off? I also have brown and black wooly buggers but its rocky and deep and didn't want to get a snag and lose fly line or whatever so i wannafloat it. plus i wanna see my fish jump and grab it out of the water. to me thats funner than the crappy sit your bobber a foot away from the shore ****. i felt like a lil kid. I want to catch them with skill plus get some practice with my fly rod for bigger fish

Old 05-10-2007, 04:50 PM

xjguy07 is on a distinguished road

well last spring i used alot of things like small ants and wollybuggers to catch alot of blue gills and sunnies at a pond. dont kno if that will translate to what your fishing but it's worth a try. also just from knowing about bass in general if they are really active they like somthing that has alot of comotion on or in the water.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:12 AM

thnx i was not successful today but i will soon!