The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2007, 04:55 PM

xjguy07 is on a distinguished road
Default cought me a fat bluegill today.

out on my grandparents pond useing a streamer, couldn't tell you what kind though. my buddy was useing a spinner tackle and cought a decent sized one. then i tied on the streamer and second cast when i was stripping it in it bit and gave a nice little fight. i would say it was about five or six inches long and maby a pound. that pond allways has some nice sized fish in it but their hard as heck to catch. thoes were the only two we cought all day and i'm supprised we got them. the water has been really merky lately and you cant see much past a few inches.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:27 AM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: cought me a fat bluegill today.

Panfish are really a lot of fun on the fly aren't they. I love fishing for them. Good job. I've had good luck with small buggers.

Here's a fun little tool for estimating the weight of various types of fish when length is about the only known factor. One pound is actually pretty big for a gill. They usually don't reach that weight until they are 10" or more.

Fresh Water Fish Weight Calculator

Now go catch some more! And share some pictures.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That is AWESOME! you gotta love it!
I went to a local pond the other day with the shore full of bait casters and lures. I walked up with a new rod I have and tied on a beadhead Prince and a Hopper dry for an indicator. First cast, fish on. All the guys on the shore turned and looked. I threw out again, hit miss, then again and the fish hit the dry, released then hit the dropper. After about the fish fish, I had an audience. Gotta love it. I like hearing the whispers, "I gotta talke up Fly Fishing". Like I said before, you don't need a 9' fly rod and fly line and reel to fly fish. The thing with the hook is the FLY. So use a spinning outfit and a bubble.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:04 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

As an EX bait chucker, I'm a firm believer that flies will outfish lurers on most days, if not all.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-12-2007, 02:07 PM

xjguy07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerolimit View Post
Panfish are really a lot of fun on the fly aren't they. I love fishing for them. Good job. I've had good luck with small buggers.

Here's a fun little tool for estimating the weight of various types of fish when length is about the only known factor. One pound is actually pretty big for a gill. They usually don't reach that weight until they are 10" or more.

Fresh Water Fish Weight Calculator

Now go catch some more! And share some pictures.

thanks for the link did the caculations and it was about half a pund. eh, a pound sounds good to me lol. during the spring the fish are really active and you can cast out dry flies all day and have fun catching blue gills and sunnies. but the real fun is takeing out a little boat and fishing in the deep stuff that is where all the big guys hangout. hopefully i'll be able to catch me a nice bass soon, i'm tired of my little 6 year old cusion out fishing me with his little pos spinning reel and 30 year old lures lol.