The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Kayak for fishing

OregonStreams,

I always wanted to get into white water yaking but never got to it. Too many other hobbies. White water yaking is a whole different thing than fly fishing from a kayak. Don't you think your style of kayak would be a poor setup for a beginner for fishing? A roll over would be fun to watch with a couple of rods sticking out of rod holders.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:50 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Don't you think your style of kayak would be a poor setup for a beginner for fishing? A roll over would be fun to watch with a couple of rods sticking out of rod holders.
Absolutely. In fact, probably a poor choice for an experienced person. There are a couple of spots where the Rogue is very calm and access to the shore is poor and I have half a mind to kayak upriver, disembark and wet wade
Old 02-23-2008, 04:58 PM

cadhopper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by keebranch View Post
ET,
I too live in Texas and I own a SOT Tarpon 120. I've seen others that match up well against my yak, but I wouldn't own a sit inside, especially for coastal fishing.
Les
I've been using a Tarpon 120 for two years as a fishing rig and I love it. I've sold my Triton bass boat and now fish only from a kayak on small ponds and rivers. I actually enjoy fishing again now that I've gotten away from all 70 mph knuckleheads and the tournaments. Wish I would have done this a long time ago. You see so much more wildlife a 5 mph.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:09 AM

singingdog is on a distinguished road

Unless you want to fish really rough water, I would go with a SOT as well (this from a hardcore SIK fan). It's cooler, more comfortable, easier to fish out of, and easier to land fish in.

Paddle shape: get the best paddle you can wrap your wallet around. The paddle, beleive it or not, makes as much if not more difference than the boat once you are in a certain range. Smaller blade shapes are good for cruising and protecting your joints. Bigger blades are good for lots of immediate paddling and bracing power.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:11 AM

TCF is on a distinguished road

ETX,
I have both a SOT and a SINK. I like the SOT much better. I have met a number of people who have bought Pelican kayaks and they don't like them. Slip over to REDIRECT for some good input and links to vendors.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:05 PM

EastTexas will become famous soon enoughEastTexas will become famous soon enough

I sold my little 8' john boat last week and I am look at kayaks again. I still like the idea of dry fishing with SINK's.

Thank's for the link

The Pelican Pursuit 100 are better than you think....
Product Reviews - Canoes and Kayaks
Old 03-30-2008, 10:29 PM

TCF is on a distinguished road

From what I hear those who have bought them were very disappointed with things like the weight limits are very conservative, they leak around the seams, they don't track well. TKF site has lots of opionions both pro and con on Pelican boats.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:55 PM

EastTexas will become famous soon enoughEastTexas will become famous soon enough

UPDATE: Last month I bought a PP100 (The Pelican Pursuit 100 Kayak) on sale for $199 at Academy other wise $229.

Also went with a 96" SeaSense Kayak Paddle only $25.00 and it keeps me dry for the most part.
(The last two Daytripers Kayak Paddle at Academy had poor fit and finish.)

Note: The Pelican Pursuit 100 is stable & fast on the water, it's just little tippy on shore due to a v-bottom. I fixed the problem with the tippy kayak when trying to get out of the PP100. I use a broken shovel handle that aids when getting in/out and pushing the on/off shore. It also great for anything that needs an attitude adjustment. If more stability is need when getting out of the kayak I just ram my fish cleaning board (clip facing down) under the kayak. The F.C.B. also does double duty as high back rest when not in use. I just stick it in back of the seat ;} Note: F.C.B. Back Rest may not work on all SINKS.

The PP100 will save your back, it only weights 41 lbs. It will also save your arms too it has a good glide for a 10 footer.

Casting from the kayak is not a problem with fly-rod or spinning. Skipping Gulp Minnows under docs is a breeze from a kayak. Skipping flies under docs is easier said than done for me. It's kinda like taking Indiana Jones with his whip fishing.

I'm even ditched my anchor, due the wind has very little effect so far on lakes...

*A 2 pound bass can tow the boat ;}