The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2007, 12:49 PM

EastTexas will become famous soon enoughEastTexas will become famous soon enough
Default Kayak for fishing

What is your thoughts on the little Pelican Pursuit 100 kayak for fishing?
} Pursuit 100

I can add some tie-downs myself and save a $100 or more... I'm not kidding!
(Pursuit 100 DLX $100 more for tie-downs...)
} Pursuit 100 DLX
(Even more if you go for the Getaway 100...)
Getaway 100

I have read it tracks well & it's cheap too...

I will be taking 3 outfits with me: Fly, Spinning, Bait Casting. The last two are 6' & 5' 1/2, the fly is 4 piece.

That also brings up another question the Paddle: What blade shape?

*NOTE: I had a 13' two seater (SINK Type) a few years ago... Nobody wanted to fish with me in a kayak... I sold it, because I need the money for college more than I needed a boat.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Kayak for fishing

I would stay away from that one becuase it appears to be a 2 piece design. Those tend to develop leaks around the joint that runs all the way around the thing. I would look for one that is a "rotomolded" design that is one piece. I also strongly recommend going with a sit-on-top boat for Texas fishing. They're much easier to get in and out of, much cooler, and many are avalable with stowage compartments in the hull for gear.

Looks like this one has been discontinued, so i'd try to snatch one up while you can. Should be cheaper than usual too. Perception Kayaks

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I agree with everything Cliff said. I especially agree that you would be better off with a sit-on-top model. If you ever get swamped you will appreciate how much easier it is to get back into action with the sit-on-top style.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:46 PM

EastTexas will become famous soon enoughEastTexas will become famous soon enough

I have never used a SOT, I don't know if I would like like it. I keeping my boots dry 8D
Old 05-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Well if they're inside a 120 degree greenhouse and sweating, I'm not sure we can call that "dry". And you're probably going to get your feet wet in the process of launching the boat anyway.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

ET,
BC & FW are right on with their info about kayaks. I know that Gander Mountain has Kayak demos at some of the area park ponds of Tyler that you can try when they do. Check the Trifty Nickel and on occassion you will find a good deal there.
Good Luck,
Terry
Old 05-21-2007, 04:02 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

ET,

I like my ocean two seater malibu 2 that I retro fitted for fishing, its stable and tracks well for one person, the only down side is the weight. Frank had a great point, if you get swamped in a SOT they have self bailing cockpits that move the water away quickly. the only down side to a SOT is that your gear is exposed and you run the risk of dumping it if things get a little squirelly.

ocean offers a fishing SOT, I dont know the price.

Ocean Home Page Flash.

if youre looking to stay "dry" in a kayak I dont think thats possible.

hope this helps
Old 05-24-2007, 11:16 PM

The very dry kayak I had was a Aquaterra/Perception Keowee 2-Tandem Recreational Kayak.

I miss that boat 8(

I have even had a Leisure Life Bahama Rowing Dinghy; which was not a good boat for me...
The boat was 8' 8".... ok, it was like a bath tub...
It had lots of wind problems 8(
Old 07-12-2007, 10:00 PM

keebranch is on a distinguished road

ET,
I too live in Texas and I own a SOT Tarpon 120. I've seen others that match up well against my yak, but I wouldn't own a sit inside, especially for coastal fishing.
Les
Old 07-13-2007, 01:19 AM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
I agree with everything Cliff said. I especially agree that you would be better off with a sit-on-top model. If you ever get swamped you will appreciate how much easier it is to get back into action with the sit-on-top style.
Frank... I white water kayak the Rogue River in a sit inside kayak with a skirt, but there are a number of places that I want to Kayak to and then fish. I have not quite figured out how to do both Oh, I should add that I can roll my kayak either side, but cannot keep up with my daughter who can roll her kayak with just her arms and hands.