The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 03:49 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default my clouser pattern

I have devised a clouser pattern that has been catching very large bass( it is still a prototype) so i thought i would share it. It is a mix of ep fiber and bucktail.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:51 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my clouser pattern

Is there a way to get a bigger pic? Can't see the fly.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:05 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

it is still be worked on because after a couple fish it is destroyed so i need to figure out a way to keep the materials from wrapping around

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That'll work, nice fly with good color and the all important lateral line going on!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
it is still be worked on because after a couple fish it is destroyed so i need to figure out a way to keep the materials from wrapping around

Before I suggest a fix, a couple of quick questions. What damage are the fish doing? By materials wrapping around, do you mean around the hook or is the whole thing coming loose and rotating?
Old 11-24-2011, 04:32 AM

flymark is on a distinguished road

Wet your thread base with head cement before you add the hair clumps, then apply head cement over each set of thread wraps before adding more hair. This should make your flies more durable and the materials shouldn't spin on the shaft (which is what it sounds like your problem is?)
Old 11-24-2011, 07:05 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Try a little dab of softex or exoflex between the eyes and the bend of the hook. Work it thru the fibers with a bodkin, this will keep it from fouling.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:11 PM

the materials are wrapping around the hook alot even when casting. i think its because ep fibers arnt very stiff. Im just trying to marry synthetics and naturals in a clouser pattern to bring out the best in both materials
Old 11-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
the materials are wrapping around the hook alot even when casting. i think its because ep fibers arnt very stiff. Im just trying to marry synthetics and naturals in a clouser pattern to bring out the best in both materials
I have a cure for that but it turns it into a new fly. I tied some this way this fall for the same reason. I tie the hair pattern at the hook bend and cover enough tith thread to get to behind the eyes leaving a bit of room. Maybe an 1/8". I then push a section of woven mylar tube over the previous thread covered parts. Then I essentially do the clouser part making none of the front stuff go past the hook bend. It doubles the work and takes more material but it ends the wrapping problems. I'll take a photo of one I did that way and post it.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:30 PM

hmm thats interesting dan. I tied a bendback with a rattle today ill be sure to post that too