The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 03:28 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road
Default Help me Choose A Bass Rod: UPDATE

Quick Bio/Background:

I used to flyfish all of the time. I was about 95% devoted to flyfishing only, with occasional bouts of fishing with "hardware" for largemouth and smallies. We would fish the Dead River and the Kennebec, taking refuge in the family camp in Jackman. It was glorious. Then my brother-in-law passed away, and things changed. It was a serious blow to the rest of us, ans things just were not the same without him, so us boys (me, his sons, and mine), kind of dropped it and never really got together at camp again. That was 10 years ago, and now we've done our grieving. Time to catch some fish. This past October, we all got together and had a great time. It was glorious all over again, and I am so much back into flyfishing. I feel like a virgin all over again!

So ten years have passed, and things in the flyrod industry have changed. I now have no idea what I want or need, but I am slowly acquiring gear and flies again. Back then, I was good at lobbing a muddler at just about anything, coldwater or warm, and if it took - great - if it didnt, well that was great too because I was out there. Now I want to fish a little for some bass between our trips to camp.

So can anyone suggest a good medium-priced rod for largemouth and smallmouth? Any advice or counselling would really be great!

Last edited by kibby; 12-30-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:19 AM

flymark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help me Choose A Bass Rod

Echo Ion 7 weight - 9 or 10 foot pick your poison. Rod runs $189.00 just about everywhere. Great rod. The 7 is a good all around bass rod that will work for large and smallmouth bass. If you're going to launch mongo-size bugs and super heavy lead-eyed monster streamers, you might bump to a 8 or 9 weight.

If the Ion is out of your budget - the Echo Solo is $99 and comes in 6 or 8 weights (no 7) - the 6 would be fine for smaller flies and shorter ranges - the 8 would reach out & touch someone and toss bigger, heavier flies.

Pair it up with the Echo Ion 67 or 810 reel (depending on which line size you opt for) and you've got a rod/reel combo under $300 (the Ion 67 is $80, the 810 is $100). Spare spools are $35-45

I like Scientific Angler's Mastery lines myself, but I've been using an Airflo Ridge trout line for a couple months, and I really like it. They use a non-PVC line coating that seems to handle temperature changes better.

Airflo has a Bass/Muskie line meant for turning over wind resistant flies that would work just fine for you. If you're thinking about dredging deeper holes with streamers, you might consider one of the compact Skagit shooting heads and running some sink tips. That same setup can be used for lakes if you want to plumb the depths.

90% of your bass fishing would be covered with the regular floating line though.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:47 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I like the Ross FlyStik.

Review -
Ross FlyStik, A Fly Fish Ohio In-Depth Review

It is one of the few graphite rods I own that I can cast well with the rated line weight for both up-close and distant presentation. I have to overline most graphite rods for close casting.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:59 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the Sage Bass line is undergoing a redesign and the old ones can be had at a good price now. milt.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:30 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibby View Post
Quick Bio/Background:

I used to flyfish all of the time. I was about 95% devoted to flyfishing only, with occasional bouts of fishing with "hardware" for largemouth and smallies. We would fish the Dead River and the Kennebec, taking refuge in the family camp in Jackman. It was glorious. Then my brother-in-law passed away, and things changed. It was a serious blow to the rest of us, ans things just were not the same without him, so us boys (me, his sons, and mine), kind of dropped it and never really got together at camp again. That was 10 years ago, and now we've done our grieving. Time to catch some fish. This past October, we all got together and had a great time. It was glorious all over again, and I am so much back into flyfishing. I feel like a virgin all over again!

So ten years have passed, and things in the flyrod industry have changed. I now have no idea what I want or need, but I am slowly acquiring gear and flies again. Back then, I was good at lobbing a muddler at just about anything, coldwater or warm, and if it took - great - if it didnt, well that was great too because I was out there. Now I want to fish a little for some bass between our trips to camp.

So can anyone suggest a good medium-priced rod for largemouth and smallmouth? Any advice or counselling would really be great!
Welcome Kibby,

I thought you were kidding about the signature line! lol. I generally use a 6WT but a 7 wouldn't be a bad idea. Lot's of well priced rods out there:
TFO
Redington
Echo
Ross
Colton
Just to name a few.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:00 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a trout sized rod already? Cuz you have those fabulous brookie ponds up that way.
How about a low priced rod Fenwick World Class Fly Rod
Match it with a Medalist reel, and it's all you need for bass.
Save your money and get a nice trout rod instead
Old 11-26-2011, 01:54 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I love my Allen 8wt Xa, I've used it for both bass and carp, and also coldwater bruisers. For bass though, I'd bump down to 7wt so you don't get too bored strong-arming 'em. I guarantee you'll love the rod, the price, and the customer service!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-26-2011, 02:10 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Orvis isn't making any more of the Clearwater II rods. They are just burning down their stockpiles right now, and they"ll be replacing it with a Clearwater III late winter, early spring (this is what I was told at the factory store in Manchester, just yesterday). In the meantime, you can find some great deals on the remaining Clearwater II's. Some of the popular trout / panfish 5-weights are already unavailable on-line, but they seem to have lots of the lighter and heavier rods left. I was fortunate to get the 905-4 mid-weight that I was looking for. Even though the on-line said it was no longer available, the Manchester store had two left!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 11-26-2011, 03:01 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

im going to second the Allen rods. I havnt fished the Xa but my 5wt 9ft Nano is my go to rod unless i see salmon or steel head. Iv landed many bass on it without trouble and from what i hear, the new Myth is suposed to be even better.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:16 PM

kibby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Welcome Kibby,

I thought you were kidding about the signature line! lol.
Hey brother, clever words demand someone to immortalize them!

I've been getting pretty good at catching 2-4lb smallies on conventional tackle. They fight like mad, so looks like I'll be trying a 7wt. I have an 8wt Cabela's rod. It's a little big for the fish around here in my opinion, not to mention its a limp noodle when trying to cast a bass fly.