The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2007, 07:42 PM

onthefly is on a distinguished road
Default The fly wins again

Last weekend I went to a Bachelor Party that consisted of a cookout , bean bags and best of all fishing. We'll to make a long story short My buddy who was getting married is such a gambler and decides to have a fishing contests. So' roughly thirty guys enter, most using live bait and a few spin fishermen, but I was the only fly fisherman. Now i had got there early and had walked around the small lake and noticed the Bluegill were nesting and new this was going to be easy. i tied on a small olive green woolly bugger and spent the next hour and half schooling the rest of them. By that time my count was well over thirty in bluegill alone, not to mention a dozen or so bass and a channel cat. The Contest ended abruptly after that and moved to bean bags, which i declined to enter and spent the rest of the afternoon teaching others the art of fly fishing. Since then five different guys have called asking advice on what set ups to buy and one even brought his to the wedding yesterday just to show me. And best of all I just got back with my new 3wt I just bought with My contest winnings, which I feel slightly guilty about, but I am sure that will go away with my first trip to the water.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:48 PM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice
Default Re: The fly wins again

As my old Grand Pa use to say: He'd say: "Son, the flyfisherman may not catch the biggest bass in the lake, be will sure a shoot'n catch the most."
Old 07-11-2007, 12:26 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

i wouldn't feel guilty. u won fair and square. i bet next tourny you aren't the only fly guy in the pond!
this is my 1st year fly fishing! but whats the difference of the 3 wt compared to the 6 wt besides the weight of the line? is it a harder fight or a better presentation of a fly or what? I just use my 6 wt for bass and gills and cats and i use my 8wt for the same but i actually got that for the steelhead around here in the winter and spring. i was thinking of getting a ultra light weight but didn't know what it was about

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:33 PM

onthefly is on a distinguished road

A 5wt or a 6wt are great all around rods, and you can use them on most fresh water fish. I like my 3 and 4 allot, manly because they are shorter rods and have to manage around a lot of overhanging trees. I fish mostly for Gills so they are just fine and allot of fun when you hook in to one of those little guys. The presentation with them and small flies are almost flawless and not being the greatest caster i can use all the help I can. I guess with any fisherman its a matter of preference and what fishing opportunities you have around you.