The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 02:51 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woe to Ye Who Tread the Warm Waters

I've had the muskrat, beaver, and otter swim by, unless I saw them coming they scared me half to death because I didn't see them till they were 10 ft away. Once I got over that, it was pretty cool. Also had some huge carp slowly swim by me in a river, was initially spooked by their size since I was looking for bass, but they weren't interested in anything I was throwing. This past summer we did see a huge beaver, though it was in cold water. My fishing partner initially thought it was a large black dog given the size of it's head but then it slapped it's tail.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:46 AM

rvc is on a distinguished road

I was wading around a point one night with about 40 feet of cat tails between me and the shore - water just over belt high. I discovered a steep drop off where someone had apparently dredged to create a drive-in movie theater close by. I turned to go back the way I had come and noticed an alligator in the water heading my way. I tossed my crank bait his way thinking he may not have seen me and then whacked the water with my rod. None of this had any effect and so I turned around to see if there was any escape route. Not finding any I turned back toward the gator to discover that he had gone under leaving a trail of bubbles heading my way. I stuck my rod to the bottom in front of me to give me a second or two of warning but he apparently turned away and I didn't see him again. I later discovered it was a female who probably had a nest up in the cat tails and she was trying to frighten me away. She succeeded and I don't wade much at night any more.

RVC
Old 12-10-2011, 11:34 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

The scary thing about gators is that in the attempt to find deep water and hide from humans and other scary things for them, they move to deeper water and scare us. In your case, you were standing between it and the deep water it wanted Ive had times when myself or my dad felt a tug and a big fight only to reel in small gators when bass fishing. And I swear sometimes gators just like to play with surface cranks and plugs. In saltwater, the scariest I've had is dark shapes moving toward me in the water, only to find out that they are manatees. However, they way they announce themselves (loud exhales at the surface) doesn't make them any less frightening before you realize what they are

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-10-2011, 12:44 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Never had any problems with the local snakes. They always head the other way. Turtles? No problem. I have had deer scare me by jumping into the creek close by but no problems. Muskrats head the other way. I did have a concern with a racoon once. I was fishing up a small river and a racoon came heading down along the same bank I was following. I yelled and waved my arms to no avail. I finally decided to cross the river to the opposite side and luckily the **** did not follow but he had no fear of me. Made me very nervous.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:08 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Check this one out. A pro angler trying to shoot some footage. What a guy has to deal with to earn a living, lol
Goose Attacks Pro Kayak Angler Drew Gregory - YouTube
Old 12-10-2011, 06:44 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

At the end of summer I was walking along the bank of the local trout stream and saw a few rising on the far bank, about 10 yards. I walked to the edge of the bank and noticed something slip beneath the water. I looked and it was a water snake, not venomous.

He coiled up underwater just out of strike distance and I thought that if he is ok with me, I'll be ok with him.

I make my cast and apparently he decided to not be so ok with me, because he rises up out of the water like a cobra in those documentaries on strange Hindu rituals and just stares at me, swaying in the current. Never saw anything like it.

I decided that maybe it was time to move on....
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-11-2011, 09:41 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

ant, I had a Black Snake do that to me once! I was hunting, walking along an old dirt road & startled the snake. It was laying in some tall grass along the road. It went down over an embankment, and turned around & in Cobra like fashion, raised up to peer at what had disturbed it. Gave me the willy's seeing that snake rise up like that, and Black Snakes don't usually bother me!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I won't boar you with a laundry list of unusual encounters but a few are in order. The nighttime Beaver tail slap is always a good cardiac test. I once had a mink come swimming down a tiny spring creek headwater I was fishing in. I saw it coming for a ways and stood as motionless as I could. It in fact ended up with its front paws on my waders (right leg at the knee) and I think it wanted to climb up. After a while it just swam on down stream................. I had a piece of land with a creek and beaver ponds in Georgia so there were plenty of things to avoid there......... Seals! Now theres another cardio stress tester for sure! I was crossing a river at about 5:30 AM a few years back so I would beat the high tide and also be where I wanted to be at day break. It was fall and I was after silver salmon, so were the seals. I was about mid channel waist deep when in the dawns early light I saw a group of huge somethings coming down river at me. Seals, none hit me and once I realized what they were it was cool but for that second or two just seeing something way too big coming it was a thrill.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-11-2011, 11:29 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
ant, I had a Black Snake do that to me once! I was hunting, walking along an old dirt road & startled the snake. It was laying in some tall grass along the road. It went down over an embankment, and turned around & in Cobra like fashion, raised up to peer at what had disturbed it. Gave me the willy's seeing that snake rise up like that, and Black Snakes don't usually bother me!
I think seeing a black snake would creep me out even worse. Every time I see one around here they're 5-6 feet long. I don't mind snakes, but one as long as I am tall does give me pause.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-11-2011, 08:22 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've been attached by otters multiple times in warm water. The one time that I was in my float tube, I fought it off by slapping my rod violently on the water and growling back at the animal. They are not the sweet creatures that they're made out to be.
As for Canada geese... I backed into an unseen nest one time while wading and got bitten in the ass. Good thing for the 5mm neoprenes !