The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 09:40 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Woe to Ye Who Tread the Warm Waters

Last summer I was walking back from a pond about a quarter mile from my house I was about 10 yards away from what I thought were two black garden hoses when my mom called. While I was talking to her I walked right over the two "garden hoses" one of which struck at me. Ever seen a 220 pound man run the 100 meter dash in under 6 seconds? I did. turns out those garden houses were a pair of Texas water snakes bathing in the sun. The other thing worth mentioning is that one day while fishing that same pond I saw an alligator jump out of the water chasing after a bass and that thing had to be at least 6-7 feet long. Needless to say I don't wade that pond anymore.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:16 AM

TCF is on a distinguished road

I fish from kick-boats and kayaks in warm water all the time (200+ days a year). I've had snakes (both venomous and non-venomous) swim by me and toward me. I've had beavers and nutrea swim near me. Never have had a turtle encounter. No gators in the lakes I fish (any more). They removed a 6 footer from one of my favorite lakes earlier this year.

It goes with the territory!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:46 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

In more than 50 years of fishing, I've had plenty of interesting encounters...

Snakes: I've had cottonmouths and last year a huge copperhead swim up to the canoe. They aren't attacking you, they are probably either just curious, or the canoe was in the way of where they wanted to go. You don't see too many copperheads on the water since they aren't aquatic snakes, but the big one I encountered I saw upstream about 50 yards away, swimming straight down the river toward me. I watched it swim around the front of the canoe (and temporarily out of sight) and on down the river to a log jam about 30 feet below, where it crawled out onto a log and began to sun itself.

This past summer, on an Ozark stream that has quite a few cottonmouths, I had one swim up as if it really wanted to get into the canoe. I slapped it with the paddle, not hard enough to hurt it--I don't kill snakes. It took three slaps to discourage it.

Beavers: Been scared out of my gourd plenty of times by beavers slapping tails on the water, but once I was wading waist deep along an undercut bank when a big beaver shot out from under the bank, hit me in the legs, and bowled me over. It swam away.

I was wading up the Boulder River in Montana when I heard a crashing in the brush. a huge brown phase black bear came barreling off the bank, kersplash into the water 30 feet away, and plowed across the river at full speed, up the other bank and into the brush.

Those are the ones that stand out right now.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:30 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_a View Post
I was wading up the Boulder River in Montana when I heard a crashing in the brush. a huge brown phase black bear came barreling off the bank, kersplash into the water 30 feet away, and plowed across the river at full speed, up the other bank and into the brush.
I'll bet that was a wader-wetter!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:22 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

Snakes don't bother me - much ; no gators, very few beavers and otters are very rare.
One thing will get you in the Spring and Summer around here.
Get your fly caught in a low hanging limb and start thrashing and trying to yank it out. Then paddle over to find a throbbing yellowjacket or wasp nest.
About a dozen stings to the head and shoulders puts a damper on the trip real quick.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:40 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

As a highschool kid, I was on the river baiting a trot line in a swift current and not paying enough attention when I hooked myself in the hand. When I let go of the mainline with my free hand to get the hook out, there was already enough tension on the mainline to bury the hook. Was almost pulled out of the boat before I ripped the hook out. Learned a lot that day...

Dave
Old 12-15-2011, 08:35 AM

smalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura about

several years ago I was wading the creek in back of the house and had made my way down to the lower end of the hole. Hadn't had even a sniff of a strike (smallmouth fishing) and as I was turning to head back up I stopped to ponder what was up with my honey hole....I got that "I'm being watched" feeling and looked up stream to see a head sticking up out of the water about 10 yards away....scared the bejesus out of me until I realized it was an otter. I told him to get the heck out of my hole and he BARKED at me! So, I whacked the water with my rod to scare it away, and it went under. I started to wade my way on upstream, and all of a sudden a torpedo shot across the gravel bar in front of me and as it got in the deep water on the house side up popped the head again but this time with a fish in it's mouth. I did some research on those guys after that. They are some fish eating machines! I'm talking 5-6 lbs per otter per day fish eating machines! Ended up a family of 7 had moved in the cave across the creek, and until they moved on down stream later in the summer fishing was just not good. It took several months before anything was willing to eat again.
Stan
Old 12-25-2011, 07:54 PM

wlyeager is on a distinguished road

Here in North Texas I usually wade fish in the winter months when snakes are not a problem. In the summer I tend to stay in my kayak, water moccasins down here can be quite aggressive and they smell bad. I have been the most startled by big alligator gars rolling over right next to your kayak on some of our rivers.
ww.rrff.org
Old 12-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibby View Post
I've heard that snapping turtles - especially the huge ones can be pretty territorial, and will attack you if you get into their area.
I have had them stick their ugly head up and look at me. On occasion they have been pretty big ones. I never had one act aggressive towards me or give me a reason to worry about it. I'm not sure how well you would be liked if you actually stepped on one but I doubt they would set there till you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalliesrule View Post
....I got that "I'm being watched" feeling and looked up stream to see a head sticking up out of the water about 10 yards away....scared the bejesus out of me until I realized it was an otter. Stan
I had a family of 5 of them where I fished a lot this summer. The first time I saw the bunch of them they sawm around me and made a racket. They got used to me and by Fall seemed to have moved away. I got a couple of less than good photos of them. I never did get them to hang around long enough to get a good close photo.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:26 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I couldn't think of anything till I read Ard's Seal story and it reminded me about my sea lion story.

Buddy and I were chucking bait for rockfish off a Jetty just outside of Bodega Bay in Nor Cal. I caught one and was reeling it in. The fish was just at the rocks and I stood up to reach for him when suddenly a sea lion exploded out of the water in front of me, grabbing my fish as he did. He splashed back into the water, tearing the fish from my hook and disappeared. I just stood there wet and stunned.

I had other encounters with those fish stealing sea coyotes hitting salmon I had hooked while trolling, but never that close.