The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 02:34 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Woe to Ye Who Tread the Warm Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I couldn't think of anything till I read Ard's Seal story and it reminded me about my sea lion story.

Buddy and I were chucking bait for rockfish off a Jetty just outside of Bodega Bay in Nor Cal. I caught one and was reeling it in. The fish was just at the rocks and I stood up to reach for him when suddenly a sea lion exploded out of the water in front of me, grabbing my fish as he did. He splashed back into the water, tearing the fish from my hook and disappeared. I just stood there wet and stunned.

I had other encounters with those fish stealing sea coyotes hitting salmon I had hooked while trolling, but never that close.
I may be weird or something, but to me, that's a cooler and more memorable story than if I'd have actually landed the fish!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:07 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Ever had a bat smack your rod tip while fishing? Totally freaked me out...Too this day, I'm not so fond of late evening fishing.
In my early days of living in south Florida, I discovered Everglade Holiday Park and the joys of peacock bass on streamers. I also found out that Iguana's are not afraid of them when you walk up to them to retrieve your shoulder pack beside them. Damn thing chased me half way back to my Jeep. Gave them plenty of room from that day on.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:32 PM

jml43 is on a distinguished road

about 8 years ago me and my father were fishing in a spot behind the damn were they release the flood gates. It causes massive pools of water to build up. when they close the gate the water level drops and the fish get trapped in these massive holes. Most are about 4to7 foot deep and are wide areas. We call them pot holes. Any ways it contains a lot of rocks and snakes. I had just made a cast when I noticed that A water snake had just came up between my boots. I could not move. My dad said I turned ghost white. Sad thing is were we live I have been bitten by black snakes and water snakes before. I think it just threw me off guard. Still go back to this place all the time.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:29 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Beaver Tail Slap when he snuck to close behind me! check been there done that
Cottonmouths - one in a 13 ft john boat with a buddy in the front with a Colt Woodsman can you say line of fire, snake phobia and my buddy paying huge bucks for shooting up a rental boat! Lost five years off my life with that scare.
Geese -nasty when nesting--enough said
Big Carp--fishing a couple huge ones out in front of me when a school of thirty five or so 20 lbers snuck in fron the rear. I roll casted to the ones out front and got ran down and reverse knee capped by at least two of the behemoths from behind in thier blind panic!
Dove with and fished around gators and sharks all my life and so far no surprises but I always remember that big things eat big things!
Have you ever backcast and hung a limb that held a hornets nest?
luckily I froze till the bees settled down and then quietly detached fly from fly line and left.

Great discussion subject!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/