The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 02:52 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road
Default Woe to Ye Who Tread the Warm Waters

Why does it seem like all of the places I want to fish are places I would cringe to step foot into? I have tossed a fly or two into milfoil-choked areas, but that was from a canoe. I'd often wonder if anyone actually wades or float-tubes these places where there are all manner of creepy-crawlies and cooties to be had? I've heard that snapping turtles - especially the huge ones can be pretty territorial, and will attack you if you get into their area. Then there are snakes. Oh, and leeches. Let's not forget gators!

I'm interested in hearing any stories you guys might have about this. Come on, now... its going to be a long winter!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:36 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woe to Ye Who Tread the Warm Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibby View Post
Why does it seem like all of the places I want to fish are places I would cringe to step foot into? I have tossed a fly or two into milfoil-choked areas, but that was from a canoe. I'd often wonder if anyone actually wades or float-tubes these places where there are all manner of creepy-crawlies and cooties to be had? I've heard that snapping turtles - especially the huge ones can be pretty territorial, and will attack you if you get into their area. Then there are snakes. Oh, and leeches. Let's not forget gators!

I'm interested in hearing any stories you guys might have about this. Come on, now... its going to be a long winter!
I wade warmwater all the time. I've had everything from turtles to snakes, to muskrats scare the life out of me. Never been attacked but they almost made me wet my waders. As far as the leeches go, they bring out the 10 years old in me so I'm not above sticking one on a hook to land a fat Bass
Old 12-09-2011, 12:03 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I've had water snakes come up to me all the time while fishing. We don't have any poisonous water snakes around here that I know of. People I fished with went into a panic before if one came into a 3 foot radius of them. I've had them come up and take a whiff of me and simply turn away. Perhaps that stinky Maumee River water got to them...Hahahaha. I had one who was trying to get a little too friendly and rubbed against my leg. I simply nudged him away. No harm done. It was kinda neat because he was my "fishing buddy" for the day and followed me around. I never had an issue with them. I owned several snakes and despite their awful reputation, they do make nice pets if you treat them well.

However, other animals have not been as nice. I was wading chest deep before and had a ticked off snapper come after me. That definitely got me moving really fast. I've been chased off by a beaver as well. I've gotten chased/attacked by geese too. I have more problems being outside in general with bees and wasps though. I'm allergic to them and they ALWAYS come to me. Doesn't matter how calm I am or anything.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:13 PM

jk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nice

Lots of problems with geese, especially in the spring when they have their goslings, but the most freaked out I have ever been while wading warm water was an encounter with the fish that I was targeting.

I was wading some flats out in front of my families cabin in Door County, looking for some tailing or rooting carp, but being very new to that type of fishing, my eyes werent quite accustomed to spotting carp that blend in almost perfectly with the bottom. Well I was slowly creeping along, trying to spot something, and I must have been very quiet, because I almost stepped on a sleeping giant. Now if any of you have any experience with Door County carp, you know that they can be massive, and this one was no exception. It darted right through my legs, almost knocking me over, scaring me half to death, I almost pissed myself.

Needless to say I was a bit more careful after that and tended to spot a lot more carp.

Other than that, I havent really had any problems with snakes, but muskrats do scare the hell out of me as well. No gators up here thankfully or that would be a whole other story.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:40 PM

Once I was fishing a remote... bog... heath... all grown in body of water... whatever it was, and a pair of otters came swimming up to me. I saw some motion a dozen yards or so away, and immediately froze. They were playing and rolling around in the water as they swam - somewhat lazily - toward me. I don't think they saw me at all, because they came up within a yard of me, poked their heads out of the water, sniffed, and then turned around and swam away - just as nonchalantly as they arrived!

I felt blessed.

Unrelated to fishing, but the last time I actually had a close encounter of the friendly kind, was when one year I was up in my treestand, holding my bow, and a chickadee lighted upon my arrow shaft. He did one little chirp and flew away. I could care less about taking a deer after that happened!
Old 12-09-2011, 03:51 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I'll paint you a picture. It's mid Feb., I have no business standing in the bay except that I had just gotten a new 8WT and HAD to cast it. I entire bay was empty, no birds, no people, no boats and no fish. I was enjoying the peace and quiet and the new rod. A seal came up about 30ft. from me. As if his head slowly rising from the water wasn't enough, he barked at me and swam away. I was glad for the encounter but it took a few years off my life!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:34 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Many years ago, when I was a teenager, I was wading the edge of a tidal creek, up under some overhanging tree's & had a Green Snake crawl down a limb next to my face. Startled me, but after I saw what it was, I was fine.

I also had a big Beaver surface right in front of me late one evening, near dark, & turned & slapped it's tail & that scared the heck out of me!

I've encountered numerous water snakes & several snapping turtles, both large & small, over the years, but never had any problems with any of them. They always went their own way & I mine!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:12 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i saw the thread and had to make my gator comment. I used to target gators with my 7 weight its out of season now but when the summer rolls around again im going to put my 9 weight to good use
Old 12-09-2011, 08:16 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Several years ago we rented a cabin on the beach in Destin with some friends. While the girls flew kites on the beach, Sam and I were catching these little perch like fish in a salt pond, then running down to the beach to put them on a surf rod. We would then wade a channel to the sand bar and cast the bait out. When we started doing this the channel was only waste deep and we were having a good time catching bluefish. As the tide came in we were wading across neck deep while dangling these salt perch in the water. Out of nowhere this dark shadow about 8' long swam by in front of us, it was to deep to tell what it was...As if it mattered. Never a word was spoken as we both just turned around and headed back to shore. I think emptying my bladder scared it off.

Dave
Old 12-10-2011, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
I also had a big Beaver surface right in front of me late one evening, near dark, & turned & slapped it's tail & that scared the heck out of me!
OMG yes, that tail-slap is a shock, especially if you don't see them or aren't suspecting it. The same sort of thing happened to a buddy and me one night fishing from a tippy old aluminum canoe. It was near-dark, and beav slapped that tail about 10ft from us. Scared the bejesus outta me!