The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 08:13 AM

Gar will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Show your flies!

Sadly, I have never gotten any shots at tarpon. I have caught snook and stripers on my pike flies though.
This summer I will go again to florida with the goal of my first cuda on the fly. Any guy like me who concentrates in pike, needs to hit a big cuda. They are pike with 'roid rage.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:14 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Gar, where are you going to be in Florida, and when? I'll be down in Florida for a good chunk of time this summer. I'm also tempted to try chucking some of your flies at tarpon this summer, I'll keep you posted.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-08-2012, 08:55 PM

Gar will become famous soon enough

I will be in the St. Petersburg area the first week in June.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:08 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Make sure to keep me posted, St. Pete is 40 minutes from my parents house, tops. I should be there throughout the month of June chasing tarpon.
grassonfly likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-08-2012, 09:23 PM

tamster321 will become famous soon enoughtamster321 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhammer View Post
We have a long standing thread of warmwater fish pictures, so how about a picture thread of all the flies you have been working on lately! Folks can ask questions and possibly get some tips, pointers, and inspiration as well. I'll go first.

I have been busy tying up lots of Cypert Minnows for this spring. They can be tied with different materials and colors but the basic pattern is the same. I've taken everything from bass to catfish with them. However, these little things are DEADLY on crappie and white bass! They have saved me from being skunked on many trips. The best thing is that they are easy and quick to tie, and they are durable. Even after being chewed on by gar and catfish, they still live to fight. They're like the Rocky of flies. I'll be sure to have a ton of them with me when the crappie and white bass come around!

Click the image to open in full size.

What have you guys been tying lately???
What did you use for the flash in this fly? I love this fly and I am going to tie some up to use on crappie this spring! Thank you for sharing!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:45 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamster321 View Post
What did you use for the flash in this fly? I love this fly and I am going to tie some up to use on crappie this spring! Thank you for sharing!
I used holographic mylar cord. I wrapped the chenille on and put the hook eye through the middle of the mylar and teased it out.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:59 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Getting ready for atlantic salmon season:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Happy tying,
Gary
peregrines likes this.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:13 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Getting ready for atlantic salmon season:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Happy tying,
Gary

gary, you do realize there are still 6 empty clips in that box right?

casey

ARFE
Old 03-12-2012, 09:49 PM

chefben4 is on a distinguished road

Been lurking around this site for a while. Thought it was time I contributed! Here on some of my recent ties. Mostly for tarpon, however, I use them in MI for pike/musky/bass.

Some Divers. All tied on Gamakatsu 3/0 tarpon hooks.

Yucatan Special (3/0 Gamakatsu Hook)

Stu Apte Classic

peregrines likes this.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Some nice tying there Ben, welcome to the forum! I hope you'll continue posting with us, your flies are cool.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;