The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 01:32 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Default Show your flies!

We have a long standing thread of warmwater fish pictures, so how about a picture thread of all the flies you have been working on lately! Folks can ask questions and possibly get some tips, pointers, and inspiration as well. I'll go first.

I have been busy tying up lots of Cypert Minnows for this spring. They can be tied with different materials and colors but the basic pattern is the same. I've taken everything from bass to catfish with them. However, these little things are DEADLY on crappie and white bass! They have saved me from being skunked on many trips. The best thing is that they are easy and quick to tie, and they are durable. Even after being chewed on by gar and catfish, they still live to fight. They're like the Rocky of flies. I'll be sure to have a ton of them with me when the crappie and white bass come around!

Click the image to open in full size.

What have you guys been tying lately???
Old 12-09-2011, 02:03 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Show your flies!

I've been trying for carp with various crayfish patterns. But have not caught any carp, just many bass, and a catfish. This pattern is a bit 'stiff', but looks realistic enough to kill! Caught a 20" rainbow on an olive version too...

leeches for stillwater and creeks, warm or cold. clockwise from top left Marabou egg sucker, furled dubbing w/conehead, and two squirrel zonker leeches with coneheads.
jpbfly and fire instructor like this.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:08 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Those are some good looking flies!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:34 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I haven't tied for awhile, my wife has me moving my tying room to the basement!

Here are some bass flies I've tied:

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:02 AM

spug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhammer View Post
We have a long standing thread of warmwater fish pictures, so how about a picture thread of all the flies you have been working on lately! Folks can ask questions and possibly get some tips, pointers, and inspiration as well. I'll go first.

I have been busy tying up lots of Cypert Minnows for this spring. They can be tied with different materials and colors but the basic pattern is the same. I've taken everything from bass to catfish with them. However, these little things are DEADLY on crappie and white bass! They have saved me from being skunked on many trips. The best thing is that they are easy and quick to tie, and they are durable. Even after being chewed on by gar and catfish, they still live to fight. They're like the Rocky of flies. I'll be sure to have a ton of them with me when the crappie and white bass come around!

What have you guys been tying lately???
You might have just changed my freshwater life with those! Maybe even snook!

Very cool little fly.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:10 AM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road

I'd never heard of a Cypert Minnow before, but they really look like they'd do well. I imagine you could vary the size and catch all kinds of fish on them. I'd be interested in throwing them on a sinking line to some of the MDC brush piles here in Missouri for crappie.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
I've been trying for carp with various crayfish patterns. But have not caught any carp, just many bass, and a catfish. This pattern is a bit 'stiff', but looks realistic enough to kill! Caught a 20" rainbow on an olive version too...

leeches for stillwater and creeks, warm or cold. clockwise from top left Marabou egg sucker, furled dubbing w/conehead, and two squirrel zonker leeches with coneheads.
That is a killer crayfish pattern.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:29 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful craw. Almost to nice to fish. ( notice I said almost)
Old 03-04-2012, 11:41 AM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

LMAO. This thread tickles me. After seeing what you guys tie, mine look like theve already caught 40 fish before they ever hit the water. That crawfish looks like something another crawfish would try and mate with. Great job guys.
Eddy
Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

heres some of them...

Storm Drain Bonefisher