The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 10:05 AM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default how would you catch carp here?

i was fishing for carp yesterday morning with my fly rod. early in the morning, the carp come up and suck stuff off the lily pads on this lake. they are easy to spot and you can paddle up within 10-15 ft of them without spooking them. i had on a white ant fly and i would slowly paddle up close to one and set my fly near where it was feeding. i could see the carp swim right by it and not pay any attention.

how can i hook into a carp in this situation? the lily pads are so thick its near impossible to accurately place a fly in a gap between pads from far off, plus im not aware of any weedless dry flies... ill post a pic i took of the area later.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: how would you catch carp here?

I'd try to figure out exactly what they are eating near them lilys,, but carp for me was the hardest thig I've fished for so far.. I seen maybe 70 fish and made maybe 70% of my casts and if that fly wasn't 6" in front and 3" below its nose in a zone about a 2" circle they swam right by and often the fly would scrape right against their body..

but if your on them and getting the cast right you have just one more thing to do and thats match the meal the best you can ( dunking your fly in chocolate or strawberry milk and holding it out of the water till you see the fish helps sometimes too ) if you catch one though be ready they run like a bone fish.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:34 PM

mattpike is on a distinguished road

I'm afraid I can't help you with that, but I would guess they're eating midges. I've only targeted them while they're feeding head down. There may be a more accessible area nearby where you have a better shot at them?....it also sounds like they may be grass carp, which are the most infuriating fish species I've ever met.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:23 PM

no theyre not grass carp i know that for sure. i saw one roll and it had a big gold body just like all the common carp ive seen. i saw some others close up and they werent grass carp either.

maybe ill tie up a weed fly and maybe some tiny floating midges and try that way. i just feel like its not that sporting to paddle up and place a fly a rod lengths away and hope to hook up. id rather cast haha
Old 06-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I am not a Carp expert although I have managed to catch them. On the surface my best technique was to twitch the fly ever so gently to attract attention to it. I have caught them using nymphs and in either case my best advice is to use as stout of a leader as you can get away with because if you hook into a big one while using 6X or smaller you may not land the fish.

When I lived in Virginia my home was on a 8.5 acre lake / pond, there when they were feeding on the surface I could get them to take small poppers. Go figure, this took Patience but I was able to get away with a five pound leader this way and didn't break any off.

The only weedless dry fly I could recommend would be one tied in the style of 'Derns Fore & Aft', this pattern has hackle wound just in front of the hook point and a collar hackle wound up front. The rear hackle keeps the hook point from catching all the little things that otherwise will be snagged. You could try just a palmered hook in dark blue dunn hackle. Just being the right size and floating high may be all you need. I would forget about body, wing, and all the fancy stuff and just go for size and color.

Good luck,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

My friend Batistou is a carp fan and catches some on nymph(often with the chub special) in the Lergue where we fished with Allan.They often feed in places where the water isn't deep and sometimes take a nymph laying or slowly moving on the bottom...but you have to be very quick for they spit it out as soon as they feel there's someting wrong.I know that in lakes where hikers often throw bread you can use flies looing like pieces of bread made with sponge.Here are some pics of carp nymphs and a video I've found on french blogs.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:50 PM

maybe ill try a nymph with a small strip of foam on the back to keep it afloat. i think ill tie up a fly like the last picture and maybe a weed fly too

Warmwater Fly of the Month TEMPLATE
Old 07-08-2010, 02:07 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Try a Griffiths Gnat if they're feeding on top... If you have Cottonwood seeds on the water and they're feeding on them tye up an all white version of the Gnat.

Dan
Old 07-08-2010, 06:40 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road

I've only ever hooked one.
Fished for them 3 times.
I used one of those that JBB mentioned that I tied but have no idea what it's called

I didn't land it...had a 4wt with 7x tippet. I didn't stand a chance and I knew it but it was worth it for about 12 seconds.
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 07-09-2010, 05:26 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

carp on a fly can be fun and a challege...I managed to get into a shallow place last year that was rull of carp. It took me a while before I managed to get any to bit. I did though get one that was in the 20" range and the other was 30-32". At the time I had my 5wt with. Thing is, I remember from several articals that I have read carp mostly respond to some of the flies that are already posted here on this thread. I myself had luck just taking hen phesant chest feathers and wrapping it on a size 6 hook. This is some what a dryish fly. It will float but after getting soaked it will sink very slowly. The thing I managed to do was put this fly right on their nozes and eventually had a few hit it. Since you mentioned how the carp are acting, I want to add a few things to think about. The carp could be feeding on things that are on the pads. Algie that often grows on the under side of lillies as well as eggs. Ive seen fish like carp come up and sip the air bubbles under floating objects (why I dont know when they could just go a few inches to get air). Or indeed their are some sort of bug on those pads the carp are after. If I were you I'd grab one of those pads and look under it to see whats their. This prob will solve your mystery and if anything else give you a better idea of what to use. One last thing, the flies listed here should do the trick...some very nice ties pictured.