The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 01:24 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Default December bassin'

We've had an unusually warm couple of days here in NW Ohio. It's been in the 50's! I thought I'd go down to the ponds and give it a shot. I was using a size 10 lead-eye bugger and I ended up with two nice largemouth bass and a bluegill. They were surprisingly aggressive in the cold water considering the violent strikes and complete inhalation of the fly. It felt great to be able to use the fly rod around Christmas and catch a few fish! However, it did feel strange because I'm usually walking on the water by now. But I'm not complaining one bit!

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:28 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: December bassin'

Nice fish, especially given the time of year! Is that your usual pattern for bass? If so, I might have to check it out, as I will likely be headed to a bass pond at least once when I get down to Florida, just to break up what will hopefully be gratuitous amounts of saltwater fishing.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-15-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Nice fish, especially given the time of year! Is that your usual pattern for bass?
Yes sir! Lead eyes for deep, bead chain for shallow. The bass around here really dig the contrasting colors too. White and pink are hot colors as well. If you use white and pink, you may get into some of those pesky crappie.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:09 PM

benjaminrogers is on a distinguished road

Funny we are members of the same forums Nice fish!!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminrogers View Post
Funny we are members of the same forums Nice fish!!
Thank ya! I'm always running into people I've met on different forums.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:06 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nice!! great to see warmwater species being caught this time of year
i went out yesterday for a last hurrah and all i found was this

casey

ARFE
Old 12-15-2011, 08:11 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice to catch fish this time of year! I had a little time this past weekend and headed up to my favorite creek close to home. I was hopeful but as I drove up the canyon I saw the water frozen. When I saw a three foot waterfall frozen, I knew it was hopeless. We've had some cold spells recently that even the mild weather we've been having couldn't undo. Have to head down to a tailwater...
Old 12-16-2011, 12:15 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I can dig this, I took a new rod out and popped it's fish cherry on a bass about that same size today. But good lord, I don't remember 39 feeling so cold... or it might have been the 20 mph wind.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:24 AM

I had to fight a lot of wind today. I grabbed the wrong rod by mistake and it was....difficult. The rod was my father-in-law's and it desperately needs new line. It's a 6wt that has a kinked, coiled, and abused DT4F line.