The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Bass Fishing Around Bonita Springs (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/220616-bass-fishing-around-bonita-springs.html)

bhflyfisher 12-24-2011 01:00 PM

Bass Fishing Around Bonita Springs

I am a complete novice bass fisherman. Never targeted them on gear before, but i would like to try and fool a few on the fly. I have the gear to do it. Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on a place to try around bonita springs. Dont feel the need to post secret spots, although that would be nice, and you could do it through PM. Again just looking for a place where i could catch a few fish to get me started.

Poppers and Streamers i would assume for the green trout?

Thanks guys!

grassonfly 12-24-2011 06:50 PM

Re: Bass Fishing Around Bonita Springs

bigger is better for bass i caught a 6 pound bass on a 12 inch worm so the smallest you want your fly is about 3 inches use frog like poppers around lily pads ive found that matching the hatch is the best for bass no chartreuse in my flies all olive white and black. use heavy tippet with bass because they will tangle you up in all sorts of things

biggie_robs 12-25-2011 12:02 AM

I'm not sure how you could avoid bass down there. They get big, too! I'd use poppers or Chernobyl ants in any water that looks fishy, and hold on.

lancer09 12-27-2011 12:32 AM

Dark day dark fly, Bright day Bright fly. Try some shad patterns and some things like clousers. Don't be afraid to fish a sinking line with a spun dahlberg diver. sneaky peats can take some big bass too. Bass will hit the big stuff, but more often than not I catch them on 2-3 inch flies.

Baitfish imitations are the way to go. Try some gulley, or headstand type worms.
I catch a lot of bass on a drake's wounded minnowand on white or silver flies with a blue back. At night try fishing a black popper and set when you hear what sounds like a giant toilet flushing on your fly.

swirlchaser 12-27-2011 08:56 AM

I love Bunny Clousers for LM.

bhflyfisher 02-09-2012 03:18 PM

This is a bump to the top, can nobody really offer me any location? Not looking for a honey hole, and living in Edmonton Alberta, im only down there for maybe a week or two a year so i wouldn't be frequenting the location all the time.

chuck s 02-10-2012 08:09 PM

There are a multitude of locations there. Are or will you be shore bound, do you canoe, will you want to mix your Bass with a few Redfish? Let us know what you are really looking for an someone might nail a spot down for you. Should you be inclined to rent a canoe, the Imperial River has some nice spots to float and fish as does the Estero.

ditz 02-12-2012 12:16 PM

Spotted trout, red fish, Snook, and probably baby tarpon all around there and you want to fish bass???? :eek:Holy Smokes, you can catch bass at home in the summer. .... You really should think about some salt fishing while you are there. Sorry I can not help you on locations since I am a yankee too:D

biggie_robs 02-12-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhflyfisher (Post 393909)
This is a bump to the top, can nobody really offer me any location? Not looking for a honey hole, and living in Edmonton Alberta, im only down there for maybe a week or two a year so i wouldn't be frequenting the location all the time.

Okay, here's a non-specific location tip:

Find a golf course and fish the back nine at dawn and the front nine at dusk. I'm not kidding, you will tear it up. All you have to do is avoid the golfers (and the gators). You can't avoid LMB in freshwater in FLA.

bhflyfisher 02-12-2012 11:52 PM

I've got plenty of time, We fish the imperial for sea trout where it enters the ocean. We also have a canoe and i will be bringing down my U-boat (Super fat cat) I'll definitely scope around the golf courses.

Bass actually dont exist in Alberta... so it would be something new for me. And something i'd be interested in.

I'd be extremely interested in mixing in some bass with some reds.

Thanks guys!