New crappie pickerel hybrid!

Fishplease

Reaction score
I saw this on another forum and thought yal might like to see this.
Its a steril hybrid between a pickerel and a crappie. At least they don't have a pickerel's teeth!

error4o4

Reaction score
thats pretty unusual. i catch a fair number of crappie here, but no pickerel. gotta love the hybrids though, i'm a huge fan of catching wiper.

Colorado Cajun

Reaction score
I don't buy it, I'll bet that's a distorted photo. (pretty convincing though)
I agree! The pictures of the pickerel that I seen before (Looks like a gar fish) and crappie are no where close to looking like the 2 could be mixed like that.

Fishplease

Reaction score
I honestly never thought it might have been a fake. The metal and piece of wood under the fish don't seem distorted. But honestly if this is fake, I didn't know about it.

Roughrider

Reaction score
It's just a long crappie that called Jenny Craig! Have you called Jenny yet?:frogdance

BigCliff

Reaction score
It's just a long crappie that called Jenny Craig! Have you called Jenny yet?
HAHA! Nice!

I don't think they'd even have to use photoshop. Just take a photo and stretch it vertically, then crop it to normal photo proportions.

error4o4

Reaction score
i'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's not a p-shop. i think the formation of the patterns and the fact that the eyes are still round supports an actual photo. call me crazy.

waterman

Reaction score
I say bogus.
Google search only results in this post and the post from the forum mentioned above. If this were real I'd think the Frankenstein biologist who did it would be bragging some where on the web. :tongue:

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I'm not a biologist, but I think the two species are too far apart to hybridize. Moreover, there's nothing in the picture that suggests any connection to a pickerel aside from extended length. That in itself is suspicious, but its even more so when you consider that the "parent" that's exerting so much influence on the skeletal structure in the body of the fish gave it nothing of the hammer-handle look.

If this were a legitimate hybrid, you'd also have to accept that the parent had no apparent influence on the structures of the skull or mouth. If you think about the bony, toothy nature of a pickerel's mouth and the paper thin mouth of a crappie and then look at the photo, you don't see anything remotely resembling a pike-like mouth or teeth. It's just a longer, skinnier version of a crappie's mouth.

You can say the same for the fins and color pattern. With today's technology, lengthening a photo of a crappie would be a simple matter--and you'd get something that looks just like the ones in the photo: A crappie with longer features and nothing to suggest a pickerel but the length.

Highly improbable that this is anything but an alteration of some type.