The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 11:15 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Trout to Bass

Actually I don't think you can switch from trout to bass. I know you can't switch from bass to trout. Don't forget to try some small to med hair bugs. They can be real killers. Top water for bass is great. I will say that I spend more time fishing gills than bass. They are so much fun. Carp, buffalo, and drum are my next targets. I am gearing up. I just have to find some.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:57 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

living in md we have some fair trout fishing opprotunities,but we have lots of warm water fishing.riversmallies are a great fly rod fish a 6 or 7 will work great for medium size poppers amd streamers.wooly buggers and clousers work real well for both large and smallmouth.dont forget about the trout outfit you have now as others have said a pond full of 8-10 inch blue gills and 10-12 inch crappie and a four weight may just be the most fun you can have with your clothes on.lol.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:27 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Found this thread on a search for bass info.
I'm thinking to get some bass fishing in this year.

Question is about rods
I have an 8wt, mostly used for steelhead, and 5wt for trout (and a 3 wt, which is out of the question from what i've read so far). So is the 8 wt overkill, and the 5 wt too light? would a 6 or 7 be better suited.
Im not adverse to buying a new rod, but if i can get by with what have that would be good to, at least for the time being

Thanks

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-17-2012, 03:26 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Eunan, you can certainly catch bass on most any weight fly rod. It depends on the waters you're fishing. I've used a 3 or 4 wt for Smallmouths in some very small streams, so even they are not out of the question. In these streams a 12" fish is a big one.

I've also done a good amount of bass fishing with a 6 wt. and have even landed a 30" Striped Bass with it, hooked while fishing for SM or LM bass in the Susquehanna. That size rod limits the size flies, & how far you can efficiently cast them as you increase the fly size. That Striper was hooked on a fly tied on a 2/0 hook, not something that casts well with a 6 wt, but it can be accomplished with a short cast. The majority of the bass I've caught on a 6 wt, have been under 3 lbs.

The 8 wt is a good all around rod for bass, but in some places & particularly where the average size bass may be small, it will be overkill. I have an 8 wt, and use it for bass often enough.

I also use my 9 & sometimes 10 wt for tidal river bass. More so because there's a lot of heavy cover, so dragging even a 2 lb bass out of the weeds needs a heavy rod, and because there's the possibility of hooking Striped bass as well. Plus, the heavier rod allows me to cast some really big flies.

Since you have both an 8 wt & a 5 wt, that would be a good place to start, and you should be able to choose one over the other for whatever water you decide to chase bass in & either will certainly work.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-17-2012, 03:29 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Found this thread on a search for bass info.
I'm thinking to get some bass fishing in this year.

Question is about rods
I have an 8wt, mostly used for steelhead, and 5wt for trout (and a 3 wt, which is out of the question from what i've read so far). So is the 8 wt overkill, and the 5 wt too light? would a 6 or 7 be better suited.
Im not adverse to buying a new rod, but if i can get by with what have that would be good to, at least for the time being

Thanks
Eunan,

You might be the motivation I need. I've been meaning to hit a few LargeMouth lakes in South Jersey. You want to drive over the bridge and meet me there? I use a 6 or a 7WT. A five can handle the abuse but throwing some of the bigger flies is a pain in the A@$ with a 5wt.

Marco
Old 01-17-2012, 03:45 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Thanks Jim
I need to scout some local water in Philly area and see whats available. Oh, and tie up some flies!

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-17-2012, 04:05 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks Jim
I need to scout some local water in Philly area and see whats available. Oh, and tie up some flies!
My two go to flies are size 1 Bunny Clousers for getting down and 1 or 1/0 poppers on top. There are a few spots in the Jackson NJ area that I've been meaning to get to. Not too far from you either
Old 01-17-2012, 04:23 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Eunan, I've never fished up that way, but have heard there are Smallmouths in the Schuylkill River. Also the Delaware & the Susquehanna. I've never fished the Delaware either, but have in the Suskie. Mostly the section here in MD, but also above Harrisburg. The section near Middletown (Bob Clousers area) looks like it should be great for fly fishing too!

I've been all over PA with my job, just never had the opportunity to fish up there much.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Eunan,

You might be the motivation I need. I've been meaning to hit a few LargeMouth lakes in South Jersey. You want to drive over the bridge and meet me there? I use a 6 or a 7WT. A five can handle the abuse but throwing some of the bigger flies is a pain in the A@$ with a 5wt.

Marco
Marco, that sounds like a damn good plan. I'll have to tie up some new flies and get some info on NJ license. I wont be able to do it for a couple weeks tho as i've stuff on the weekends through Jan, so Feb is the earliest i could make it.
How's that sound?

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-18-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Marco, that sounds like a damn good plan. I'll have to tie up some new flies and get some info on NJ license. I wont be able to do it for a couple weeks tho as i've stuff on the weekends through Jan, so Feb is the earliest i could make it.
How's that sound?
We have some time. Bass fishing is very slow right now, fish are deep. Early Spring will bring some good prespawn action. The water temps will tell us when to fish. Water temps above 45 bring them out of the deep (usually mid March-April). When water temps hit ~60 that triggers the spawn, then the bite will slow down significantly for 20-30 days.