The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 05:10 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Cold and wet.....

ad to get out and fish. I was starting to go a little crazy. Got out there before first light. Figured I would go for big fish first. It was extremely overcast and very rainy.
Rigged up and ready.....
Click the image to open in full size.

Big fish didn't want to cooperate. Granted I don't here of much being caught there anyways, but I went where I was taken. I was glad to be able to get out on a boat for a change. Beggars can't be chooser right? Most of the morning was spent casting in this deluge.

After it was obvious that we weren't going to catch out target, we opted for something smaller.
Started banging the baks with a small clouser...
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Never caught one of these before. Yellow perch?

If we go purely by number of species, I did pretty well. The only thing I could have filled a cooler with was the crappie. Most were actually keeper size (9-11").

As we were drifting down a side creek, something caught my eye. "Is that a ...., it damn sure is...."

Apparently it's back right leg was broken and it couldn't get back up the hill. Not sure how it happened. There was no obvious wound anywhere. You can see it nursing the back leg here:

A hunter came by on a kayak and unloaded a bow on the opposite side to prepare for a hunt. I told him there was an easy shot on this side of the creek and the deer probably wasn't going to live anyways. He said he didn't have permission to hunt on that side. I had a lockblade, but my balls ain't that big. So, good luck to you deer!

As we continued to drift I lost my only small chartreuse/white clouser, backcast will get you everytime. So I had to tie on a larger clouser, which I tied mind you. It is one of the 2 flies I have ever tied. And I only had one of 'em, and haven't fished it before. So I thought it would be cool to catch a fish on a fly I tied.

First cast.....first fish on a fly I tied
Also caught one of these..
It was small, but added to the variety a little. This would be the only one of these caught today by either of us.

Caught a couple more of these....then called it a day

On the way out, I saw a bald eagle.

Drove to a trout stream to round out the day. Apparently I had not had enough of the rain that now had my clothes completely water logged.

It was a good day. Wet, but good. I caught 5 different species of fish on a day where fishing was tough. Saw some wildlife and made it back to land. I can't complain............ 8)

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 01-08-2012, 06:25 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Re: Cold and wet.....

Looks like a find day despite the weather!

I looked at a pond I like to fish this morning but it was covered in ice.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:06 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

looks like a darn good day to me man.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-08-2012, 10:59 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Great day on the water! The mystery fish is a Perch. They hit pretty hard for their size, and pretty good eating too!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:24 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

As they say, a bad day fishing is still better than a good day working, and it looks like you had a GREAT day fishing!!!!

Though it's a shame that no one could / would take care of the injured deer, and that it has to suffer... But nature works in cycles, and animals dying prematurely (and sometimes miserably) is a part of nature's cycle.

BTW - Perch are something that can be caugh by the dozens through the ice in many places in NYS. There are any number of lakeshore diners that have specialty meals based n perch. Pleantiful, considered a panfish (and a nuisance fish) by many, but lightly breaded, and eith deep fried, or frien in butter with just a pinch of garlic... delicious. They are a member of the same fish family as walleye, and just as tasty.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-09-2012, 02:53 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road

Nice photo essay! Thank you!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:54 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Nice fish! Crappie and small clousers are always fun.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrl0004 View Post
It was a good day. Wet, but good. I caught 5 different species of fish on a day where fishing was tough. Saw some wildlife and made it back to land. I can't complain............ 8)
Just replace I by you....and you'll get exactly what I wanted to reply
Great report
Old 01-10-2012, 03:34 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Heck of a day you had! And crappie....YUM!!!
Gary
Old 01-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on a great day of fishing despite the wx!