The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 03:33 PM

spug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bendbacks

Click the image to open in full size.

Crappy pic. I'll try for a better one later.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:46 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one of my bendback Dahlberg divers
kinda beat-up and not a good picture, but you get the idea

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:06 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

spug why do you tie in multiple places down the hookshank istead of the standard bendback way
Old 01-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
spug why do you tie in multiple places down the hookshank istead of the standard bendback way
Not sure you're asking the right person- This is Fly

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:41 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I tie a bendback Dahlberg diver that's pretty unusual. A pattern that I learned from the old Warm Water Fly Fishing magazine
It's tied on a 3/0 mustad 3407.... no smaller
Deadly in topwater salad
Wow! I had never thought of that. I may need to tie some of those.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Helps fill the body up nicely. I wrapped the shank in between with large Ultra Wire to get a good drop.

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Not sure you're asking the right person- This is Fly
I used a #1 Gami B10S Stinger because they have a nice, wide gap. Don't bend them too much or they will break. High tying with bucktail is nothing new. It's been around for years in the North East and is an awesome way to buid wide sided bodies. I originally learned this technique from a guy at a shop in Maryland where I grew up but that was for some huge baitfish patterns for big Stripers. It rides amazing with the Ultra Wire on the shank and looks really good in the water.

Last edited by spug; 01-13-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by spug View Post
High tying with bucktail is nothing new. It's been around for years in the North East and is an awesome way to buid wide sided bodies. I originally learned this technique from a guy at a shop in Maryland where I grew up but that was for some huge baitfish patterns for big Stripers. It rides amazing with the Ultra Wire on the shank and looks really good in the water.
Yeah I'm aware. I was actually kind of amazed at the amount of press Thomas Harvey's been getting on that one here lately.

I recall learning about it around 2001 when somebody was using circle hooks and super hair for them, and it was in Fly Tyer or FFISW or something.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:42 AM

Isn't that the Carolina Fly guy? He ties some nasty stuff!

My buddy down here also showed me one a couple years ago that he fishes the lights with. It's a smaller bendback all high tied with Farrar Flash Blend down the shank. That stuff works great too.

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Quote:
I have come up with various bendback patterns because of the weeds in my lakes and because the monofilament weedguards suck to put it nicely. Im wonderig if anyone here has a interesting bendback pattern. I tie a deceiver bendback( a bendback with hackle and a gill). also does anyone tie them with synthetics?
Sorry to jack your thread man!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yup and yup

Old 01-13-2012, 04:42 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

Quote:

My buddy down here also showed me one a couple years ago that he fishes the lights with. It's a smaller bendback all high tied with Farrar Flash Blend down the shank. That stuff works great too.

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Sorry to jack your thread man!
its all good the more the merrier and now i have a new bendback to tie